PRSSA praises professionals

PRSSA praises professionals

At San Diego State, students look to build valuable networks and receive internship opportunities that will benefit their futures. Every student should be raising his or her hand up high when professors make announcements in class regarding on-campus student organizations that offer these very things. Public Relations Student Society of America is one of these student organizations and is focused toward those in the public relations major.

Members have a platform to build networks and make connections with professional public relations practitioners across the country.

Diana Brodskiy, the new executive board president for the spring semester, has been a PRSSA member since her freshman year. She considers her time in PRSSA to be the brightest highlight of her college experience and is happy she gave it a try so early on, she said.

“It’s an awesome opportunity to network in San Diego and way to set yourself apart in the competitive job market,” Brodskiy said.

PRSSA has certainly grown these past few years. This semester promises to be one of its best yet because of the amount of planning for new events and opportunities, she said.

PRSSA meetings consist of professional guest speakers and interactive workshops focusing on topics such as resume building, social media branding and ethical media practices. The idea is to give members as many opportunities as possible to make them stronger professional individuals that have built a network for themselves, Brodskiy said.

Public relations major and PRSSA member Katie Higman said PRSSA is highly beneficial. There are multiple internship and scholarship opportunities presented to members and it can help develop your leadership skills, she said.

“All majors are welcome, public relations is applied in many industries and every major can benefit,” public relations junior and member Kalyca Becktel said.

This spring, PRSSA welcomed two new essential members to their team, public relations professor Kaye Sweetser and Stalwart Communications President David Oates.

Sweetser is the new faculty adviser to the organization and Oates is the new professional adviser.  Both are eager to be part of PRSSA and dedicated to helping the organization meet its goals and objectives Brodskiy said.

It’s not too late to drop by and check it out. PRSSA meets twice a month on Wednesdays at 7 p.m. in Park Boulevard of the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union.

“We want what’s best for our members and we are striving to do that this semester more than ever so we are all looking forward to it,” Brodskiy said.

Editor’s Note: The activities of the club and a member’s major have been edited for clarification. Additionally, a quote by Diana Brodskiy was updated to correct any inaccuracies. 

Liliana Cervantes
Liliana Cervantes, Staff Writer
Liliana Cervantes is a media studies major with a minor in marketing. She has written for The Daily Aztec since spring 2016 and currently is a staff writer for the Arts and Lifestyle section.
PRSSA praises professionals