ELECTION: Redefining ‘fees’ as more taxation

By Anthony Bronson, Staff Writer

Proposition 26 seeks to make it more difficult to increase taxes at both the state and local levels, but opponents say that in times of budgetary crisis, the proposition would make it too difficult to raise emergency funds.

“Proposition 26 requires that certain state and local fees be approved by a two-thirds vote,” according to the online California Statewide General Election Official Voter Information Guide.

“What this seeks to do is to expand the definition of tax to include what are currently defined as fees,” Tom Rivera,  Associated Students Legislative Research Commissioner, said. “And taxes currently require a two-thirds vote to be passed.”

On the state level, taxes currently require a two-thirds vote of the legislature to be passed and on the local level, taxes currently require a two-thirds approval by the voters, according to Rivera.

“What 26 seeks to do is broaden the definition of taxes to incorporate what are currently defined as fees so that new fees would be more difficult to pass,” Rivera said.

According to Riviera, supporters believe that the bill would ensure newly approved taxes had been heavily debated and considered, which in turn would make  them effectively fine-tuned to meet the standards of approval of more than two-thirds of the state  legislature.

“The con side of that is the fact that if a city needs to pass a fee to keep operating or fund a project or keep employees or jobs, it would be more difficult to pass new funds,” Rivera said.

Proponents of Proposition 26 say politicians currently disguise new taxes by simply calling them fees and making them much easier to pass. They also state that by broadening the definition of taxes to include fees, voters would gain more protection against fees proponents deem unnecessary.

Those in favor of Proposition 26 say that, “California has some of the strongest environmental and consumer protection laws in the country,” according to the voter registration website. “(It) preserves those laws and protects legitimate fees such as those to clean up environmental or ocean damage, (or) fund necessary consumer regulations.”

Today voters will be able to decide whether they believe they need to be afforded increased protection from taxes or if the current laws works effectively as is.