Man attempts to kidnap student at gunpoint

An attempted kidnapping took place at 10:50 p.m. on March 23 near San Diego State’s campus, according to SDSU police.

An unknown suspect approached a female student on the corner of Campanile Drive and Baja Drive, pointed a black handgun at her and told her “get into the car,” according to police. The woman ran away and called police.

The suspect is described as a white man between 40 and 60 years old, 5’10”, wearing blue jeans, a light blue polo shirt and glasses. The vehicle is possibly a brown pickup truck.

The San Diego Police Department is currently investigating the incident. They are requesting that anyone with information or questions about the incident contact its department at (619) 531-2000 or Crime Stoppers at (619) 235-8477. Information can also be provided to SDSU Police by sending an e-mail to police@mail.sdsu.edu or calling 619-594-1991.

A crime alert was sent out to students, but some reported not receiving it. SDSU replied on Twitter to a student, saying that it was sent to 34,000 people and they are looking into potential errors.

Jamie Ballard, Managing Editor
Jamie Ballard is the managing editor of The Daily Aztec for 2016-17. She has been a member of The Daily Aztec since 2013, first as a staff writer and then as a news editor. Her work has been featured at Esquire.com, San Diego CityBeat, Student Universe, and several other sites. Jamie also works as an editorial assistant for Mike Sager, writer-at-large for Esquire and founder of The Sager Group. Follow her at @BallardJamie23 or email her at me@thedailyaztec.com