Entertainment Editor’s weekend picks: Concert edition

Entertainment Editors weekend picks: Concert edition
Courtesy of the Underachievers Myspace

The fun is unfortunately over as Aztecs travel back to San Diego and sulk onto campus wishing Spring Break was still alive and kicking. Fear not brave scholars, as always there are still plenty of fun things to do in town that can extend that Spring Break feeling. And there’s no better way to do that than with some marvelous musical talent.

Action Bronson
Thursday, April 9
Observatory North Park, 8 p.m.

Action Bronson has taken the rap world by storm and it doesn’t seem like he’s going to let up. More commonly known as Mr. Wonderful, which is the name of his latest album that released last month, Bronson’s shows are always high-energy and rough as crowds mosh to the massive man’s lyrics. Bronson is also a fan of plunging into the crowd to mingle with his fans mid-song, and Observatory North Park is perfect venue for that kind of interaction.

DJ Mustard
Saturday, April 11
Fluxx 

Much of DJ Mustard’s success can be attributed to his partnership with Compton rapper YG. But, the super producer has now made a name for himself after branching out and producing tracks for multiple big-name rappers. That quick rise to success allows Mustard to do DJ sets such as this. All pre-sale tickets are sold out, but $20 tickets still remain. Doors for the show open at 9 p.m. but odds are DJ Mustard’s set won’t start until at least 1 a.m. However, the night will surely be a fun one if you’re into gangster rap with a little club flair.

The Underachievers
Saturday, April 11
Observatory North Park

Also hailing from New York City, rap duo The Underachievers bring their own unique flavor to the turntables. The duo has close ties with other contemporary NYC rappers such as Flatbush Zombies and the Joey Badass’s Pro Era group. Taking their music back to the roots of New York hip-hop, The Underachievers also incorporate their new school boom-bap style. And for the mere price of $18 for tickets, it’s an affordable opportunity for Aztecs to check out some new music.