Student puts creativity at forefront

Marketing junior Michael Prince is a student that has chosen to embrace the creative side of the marketing industry. He discovered his passion and creativity by teaching himself how to use Photoshop, and his strength in graphic design lead him to become president of the Advertising Club at San Diego State.

“I was always really into the creative side of art,” Prince said. “I used to take art classes like sketching and drawing. I think it’s a good thing to set yourself apart when you’re entering marketing. They say try to make yourself the most marketable person when you’re going in for an interview so I figured, what the heck.”

His skills have also led him to become director of visual communications for Public Relations Student Society of America SDSU, where he works on generating various designs and event promotions. He designed the new logo for PRSSA and its weekly fliers.

In addition to his involvements in Ad Club and PRSSA, Prince is involved in various other student organizations. He is an ambassador, a member of business fraternity Alpha Kappa Psi and SDSU American Marketing Association.

Prince recently received a business achievement award for 2015 by SDSU Associated Students Business Council. These awards are given to the top graduate and undergraduate student leaders who have demonstrated academic excellence, student involvement and commitment to the College of Business Administration.

Prince said he enjoys working hard and taking advantage of the opportunities SDSU has offered him.

“College is the time where you’re supposed to educate yourself about the field you’re passionate about or test out the waters and see what you might be passionate about,” Prince said. “I just really wanted to do everything I can to not only give back to SDSU as an ambassador but make sure I learn as much as I can.”

Prince said he loves being a mentor and giving back to the next generation of students.

His philosophy for being a good leader is allowing every student the same input opportunity towards an organization.

Management and entrepreneurship junior Saumon Elhaie is treasurer of the Ad Club and has worked with Prince various times.

“Michael is a pretty open-minded person when it comes to leadership,” Elhaie said. “One of his biggest values is being transparent. He really values other people’s opinions and is always open to ideas and alternative ways of going about solving a problem.”

Elhaie said he is proud of Prince and hopes more learning experiences and opportunities come his way.

The Ad Club allows students to learn more about marketing and advertising industries and provides members with workshops for their resumes, networking and internship opportunities.

Prince is actively involved in organizing the club’s activities, designing weekly fliers, giving presentations and managing social media.

With all of these experiences under his belt, Prince has been accepted for an internship with manufacturing company 3M, a U.S. company best known for Post-it Notes.

SDSU has given Prince the footing to get self-motivation to work hard.

“I try to do everything I can today,” he said. “If I do good things now, then good things will come in my future.”

Liliana Cervantes, Staff Writer
Liliana Cervantes is a media studies major with a minor in marketing. She has written for The Daily Aztec since spring 2016 and currently is a staff writer for the Arts and Lifestyle section.
Student puts creativity at forefront