A guide to interesting classes

Picking general education classes can be stressful, confusing and overwhelming for some first year students. One way to manage the task is to sit down with you general catalog and  search for elective classes that help you grow in your career of choice.

One elective course that will kick-start your skill building is Oral Communication 103. SDSU requires all students to take this class as a general education course.  The class teaches you how to outline and deliver a public speech.

Comm 103 aims to help you conquer any public speaking fears.

“Taking Comm 103 during my first semester was important to me because thanks to it, I discovered that communications was the path I wanted to go into, not nursing,” said Lucero Gonzalez, a recent communications graduate. “I was extremely shy before attending SDSU, so going into communications was a huge challenge.”

After you reach more than 60 units, one upperdivsion GE sure to spark your interest is Music 351. The course covers the music and culture behind psychedelic rock in the 1960s.  The class is taught by Eric Smigel, SDSU’s assistant professor of music.

The class focuses on analyzing and interpreting a variety of trends related to the evolution of rock music in the 1960s. Themes include social, political, technological and artistic elements of the decade.

The class even touches on the role of psychotropic drugs in crafting the artistic expression of the era.

Students interested in understanding concepts of the human behavior would enjoy Psychology 101, which is an introductory course to the field.

“Psychology 101 is a very common general education course across universities, most likely it’s popularity is partly a function of a genuine human curiosity we have about ourselves and other humans,” said Dr. Emilio Ulloa, director of SDSU’s Education Opportunity Program and adjunct professor in psychology.

Understanding the relationship between biological and psychological processes is applicable in a variety of real-world settings.

These classes are just a sample of the many options students can choose from. The course catalog is one resource. But seeking out the help of counselors in the undergraduate advising office is another way to navigate your schedule during your time at SDSU.

A guide to interesting classes