Freshman wins dorm room makeover

Freshman wins dorm room makeover
Lilly Glenister

Crashing classes, navigating around campus in 100-degree weather and getting back into the swing of hours of homework every night can make the first week of college stressful for anyone.

Another headache for students who live on campus: Settling into the often-drab dorm rooms. Last Friday, one San Diego State student’s life got a little less stressful with the help of TCL, America’s fastest growing TV brand, which hooked him up with a dorm room makeover.

Tenocha Residence Hall welcomed the Corona, California-based company into one of its dorm rooms last week. Economics freshman Diego Bennett won the room makeover contest the company held on its Facebook page.

Bennett and his roommate, biochemistry freshman Chase Hudson, were outfitted not only with new décor — including curtains, bedding, shelving and desk supplies — but also with a new Smart TV from the company’s new TCL Roku TV Color Series.

“I’m very excited,” Bennett said. “It’s nice to know that we’ll have a TV in our room and the nicer furniture and equipment will definitely help us out during the school year.”

Bennett and Hudson look forward to their first semester at SDSU and being able to host their friends and stream content on the new TV.

SDSU was the TCL team’s first stop on its campaign promoting its latest product line at major university campuses across the U.S.

“We are here at SDSU to celebrate back to school by giving away a dorm room makeover and our new TCL Roku TV Color Series, which comes in apple green, blue and pink,” TCL spokesperson Heath Meyer said. “TCL Roku TVs integrate the best content, more than 2,000 streaming channels, stylish design and the latest technology, making it the most affordable smart TV on the market and a great back-to-school purchase.”

The company also held a scavenger hunt Friday from 2-4 p.m., where three more TCL Roku TVs were given to SDSU students. The company kept students in the loop by posting hints on its TCL USA social media pages, such as Facebook and Instagram. The scavenger hunt winners included SDSU students Patrick Abel and Lauren Bray.

After bringing an added dose of excitement to SDSU’s campus this week, TCL will continue on to other college campuses, including the University of Arkansas, the University of Washington and the University of Minnesota.

Lilly Glenister, Managing Editor
Lilly Glenister is a senior at SDSU and is double majoring in journalism and political science. She started writing for The Daily Aztec in fall 2014 and is currently the managing editor. Previously, Lilly was the assistant editor for the Arts and Culture section.
Freshman wins dorm room makeover