Library Computing Hub: remodeled and reopened

Megan Wood
Students taking advantage of the new perks the remodeled Library Computing Hub has to offer.

The newly renovated Library Computing Hub reopened for students to use this semester. 

“This remodel was a high priority for students,” Love Library Dean Gale Etschmaier said. “I am so grateful for campus support of this badly needed improvement.”

The money came from the President’s Budget Advisory Committee and the Student Library Fees.

Renovations, aesthetics improvement and computer updates were made with the funds. There’s also a new student and faculty help desk.

The floor and furniture in the old computing center had become difficult to clean and keep up.

The flooring, furniture, lighting, paint and computers are now new and clean. The entire area looks bright and inviting, a big change from the old Student Computing Center.

The furniture is now mostly white with bright splashes of color.

Several false walls, previously used for electrical lines to run through, got knocked down to make the area much brighter.

Now the new desks and tables have plugs and electricity running through them.

Seating in the area has been increased by 64 percent.

There are now 282 energy-efficient computers and seating for upwards of 400 other students with computer access if they have a laptop.

The seating areas vary. There are single-desk spaces, open couches and booths to satisfy all different needs.

While it won’t be a quiet area due to the high volume of available seats, the library administration is looking into ways to separate certain spaces for silent study.

They have also separated an area of about 100 computers that can be put on reserve by professors.

Improvements have also been made to an iconic library sculpture.

The hanging discus arrangement has been repaired and buffered.

The Financial Literacy Lab is another addition to the to the computing hub.

Advisors at the lab will help students understand how to use credit cards and handle their student loans.

They’ll also answer questions about excessive debt.

The computing hub’s technology experts will continue to help students with computer-related issues, especially when dealing with specialty software.

“(The renovation) was well received,” said Mark Figueroa, director of technologies and digital initiatives for the library. “(People) loved the furniture and the layout of it all.”

He said the key was breaking up the use of space.

Instead of being seen only as a computer area, the Library Computing Hub can be used for a variety of purposes with the new additions.

Megan Wood, Photo Editor
Megan is pursuing a bachelor’s degree in journalism at SDSU. She is currently the photo editor at The Daily Aztec and has experience photographing a range of subjects from sports to breaking news as well as editing photos for web and print. In summer, she joined inewsource as a multimedia intern where she works alongside investigative reporters to produce multimedia stories, interpret data and manage social media. She hopes to pursue a career in photojournalism after graduation in May.