CSU data breach exposes SDSU students

A data breach of California State University records has exposed personal information of some San Diego State students.

The breach revealed data of roughly 79,000 students from eight CSU campuses, including SDSU.

Affected students were all enrolled in a sexual assault prevention course, which CSU named as the source of the breach.

CSU spokesperson Stephanie Thara was unsure about the exact number of SDSU students affected.

The information exposed included students’ names, passwords, student ID numbers, campus-issued email addresses, mailing addresses, and any other addresses provided by the students. The gender, age, and race of students was also exposed.

Thara said students should change their passwords for all online accounts, especially if they use the same password as the one used for the online course.

No Social Security numbers, driver licenses or credit card data were released, according to the CSU.

Students affected by the breech were informed via email on Sept. 4. The message provided a toll free number for students to call about questions regarding their personal information.

That number is 1-877-218-2930.

A statement released by the CSU said it acted quickly to protect students’ information following the data breach.

“Protecting student data and personal information is a top priority of the 
California State University (CSU),” the statement read.

The Daily Aztec will have more on this story as it develops.

CSU data breach exposes SDSU students