SDSU senior shoots for the stars

Courtesy of Eve Christman

While many would say working for NASA is a dream job, that dream became a reality for aerospace engineering senior Eve Christman.

Her interest in engineering stemmed from three engineering classes she took at her high school through Project Lead the Way. The nonprofit organization has implemented over 8,000 science, technology, engineering and math programs worldwide at the elementary, middle and high school levels.

This past summer, Christman landed an internship with NASA Jet Propulsions Laboratory in Pasadena, California.

As a dynamics environments intern, she set up electronic sensors, gathered test data and performed shock and vibration analysis from test results.

She was also a part of the shock and vibrations analyst group, which performed analyses that ranged from small microcontrollers to entire satellite systems.

Christman has an impressive list of internships and leadership positions. She’s also involved on campus, from being a San Diego State ambassador since her freshman year to becoming the president of SDSU’s Society of Women Engineers.

The university and its faculty have played an important role in Christman’s success.

College of Engineering Assistant Dean Larry Hinkle, Ph.D., encouraged Christman to become an SDSU ambassador because he knew it would help her professional growth.

Hinkle said out of all the students he’s met during more than two decades working at various universities, Christman is one of the most outstanding students he has encountered.

“She epitomizes all the qualities of not only truly outstanding academic success and a phenomenal leader, but also accepting the challenges of pursuing her passions and dreams,” Hinkle said.

Her involvement on campus as an ambassador helped land her first internship with Northrop Grumman Corporation, a large aerospace and defense technology company.

“My first summer of being an ambassador, I met a hiring manager for Northrop Grumman,” Christman said. “He gave me the opportunity to come in for an interview and that really stemmed it all.”

Christman worked as a special programs intern for Northrop Grumman in Rancho Bernardo, California.

She has also held an internship at the U.S. Navy Naval Air Systems Command, which aids the Navy through material support for its aircraft and weapon systems.

Working at top aerospace companies has allowed Christman to strengthen her leadership skills. Her presidency of SDSU’s Society of Women Engineers has given her the chance to implement these skills.

“Having been president of SWE enabled me to understand how to manage and work with a big group of people,” Christman said. “I learned to be the person that held everyone together.”

Christman currently helps with internships and advising questions as one of four student advisors of the College of Engineering.

She credits her transformation into the person she is today to her hard work, perserverence and support from all of her loved ones.

“If I could instill something in any young girl or future engineer, (it would be) that if you think you can do it and you believe in yourself and you surround yourself with people that also believe in you, then you can do anything,” she said.

SDSU senior shoots for the stars