Film tells Apple co-creator’s story

With the recent release of the new iPhone 6S, Apple Watch and iPad Pro, it’s fitting that yet another movie depicting Apple co-founder Steve Jobs has been released.

Unlike other depictions, “Steve Jobs” redefines the Apple era of film.

Rather than taking the traditional biopic route to detail the life of Jobs from his humble startup beginnings to his untimely death, “Steve Jobs” takes a different approach.

The film follows the Apple co-founder through company product launches in 1984, 1988 and 1998, respectively.

Set backstage at these three iconic events, the movie takes its audiences behind the scenes and effectively paints an intimate portrait of the brilliant man who sat at the epicenter of the digital revolution.

A large part of the film also focuses on Jobs and his relationship with his daughter, who was seemingly born out of wedlock. Throughout the story, Jobs tries to become a decent father while also maintaining his tough, executive persona. This contrast gives an unexpectedly emotional element to the film.

The structure of “Steve Jobs” makes the film unique.

The film never actually displays the unveiling of products and software. Instead, it engulfs the audience in the backstage chaos that commences before the three separate launches.

It even incorporates real news footage to tell the story of Apple’s history rather than taking a traditional approach to re-creating historic events.

A majority of the chaos focuses on the relationships Jobs has with his colleagues and family.

These individuals include Joanna Hoffman, Steve Wozniak and John Scully, portrayed by Kate Winslet, Seth Rogen and Jeff Daniels.

Winslet excellently portrays Hoffman, the bold marketing guru.

Aside from perfecting Hoffman’s Polish-Armenian-American accent, the actress unsurprisingly brings a strong yet vulnerable charisma to the character.

Serving as Jobs’ most trusted companion, she’s successful in interpreting the professional, confrontational and personal relationship the two shared.

Rogen, who plays Wozniak, the other Apple co-founder, lends his charming and quirky persona to the role. However, he brings a dramatic depth that’s impressive to watch.

In the film, Wozniak faces off against Jobs multiple times, criticizing the Apple co-founder in a series of emotional confrontations.

In a film depicting Steve Jobs, it’s a given that the lead actor must be unsurpassable.

Director Danny Boyle did not disappoint with Michael Fassbender as the choice lead.

Fassbender’s portrayal of the Apple visionary does not shy away from the rude, narcissistic and arrogant man whom many claimed Jobs to be.

However, while Fassbender impressively plays a pompous Jobs, his work is also exceptional in that it gives life to an emotional aspect of the character, as well.

The cinematography frames the story together.

Not only does it provide an up-close and personal viewing experience, it also lets the audience share the same anticipation, anger, joy and awe that the characters in the film display.

These qualities make the film a great choice for any movie-lover searching for a provocative and moving cinematic experience.

Cami Buckman
Cami Buckman, Arts and Culture Editor
Cami Buckman is the editor of Arts and Culture and has been a writer for the section since Fall 2014. She is currently a senior majoring in journalism and double minoring in film and international studies. Follow her on all social media at @camibuckman
Film tells Apple co-creator’s story