Women’s golf has bright outlook despite finishing third in Las Vegas

Courtesy of SDSU Athletics

After winning two straight tournaments, San Diego State women’s golf’s victory streak has come to an end.

The No. 25 Aztecs finished in third place in the Las Vegas Collegiate Showdown on Tuesday with a total score of 834 (280-278-276) and finishing 30-under-par.

No. 16 Vanderbilt University and host No.24 UNLV went home as co-champions of the showdown, both ending with a score of 33-under.

Individually, the Aztecs had two top 10 finishers. Junior Sirene Blair, who set a school record for a three-round score of 11-under 205 in the final round on Tuesday, tied for fifth. Blair shot 5 under on Sunday followed by 2 under on Monday and finished on Tuesday with a 4-under-par round to finish at 11 under.

The other Aztec to finish in the top 10 was senior Emma Henrikson, who tied for 10th with a total score of 206. Henrikson shot an even par round Sunday, followed by a superb 6-under-par round Monday and closed the showdown with a 4 under round Tuesday, finishing at 10 under for the tournament.

Sophomore Mila Chaves tied for 28th with a score of 211. Chaves shot an even par round Sunday, followed by a 1 under round Monday, finishing the tournament off with a 4 under round Tuesday to finish at 5 under for the tournament.

Fellow sophomore Haleigh Krause tied for 31st with a score of 212. Krause shot 3-under-par on Sunday, 1-under-par on Monday, and ended the tournament with an even par round on Tuesday, and finished at 4 under.

The Aztecs as a team shot 8 under Sunday, followed by a 10-under-par round on Monday and improved even more on Tuesday, shooting 12 under.

Despite not winning the tournament, Head Coach Leslie Spalding said they are still pleased with their performance overall and are still capable of competing with anybody in country.

“This team is just solid,” Spalding said. “We are very happy with the results. I’m proud of them.”

Sophomore Anna Newell from University of Tennessee finished atop the tournament individually, with a score of 18 under.

Spalding still believes her team has a lot left in the tank.

“We will keep building momentum in the off season by building strength in the gym,” Spalding said. “Expect great things from this team.”