Mountain West Football Pick ’em: Week 10

Cristian Rangel

From this point on, every week in the Mountain West’s Mountain Division is interesting. Utah State, Boise State and Air Force Academy are all tied for first place. Air Force plays Utah State next week and Boise State the week after. This week San Diego State gets a much needed break after its first 5-0 conference start since joining Division I football. As always, be on the lookout for the bad name bowl game.

Each week, Kris Keehl picks MW games against the spread. Play along and criticize him @IamKRISKEEHL.

Last week: 3-1

Overall: 22-22-1

University of Nevada at Fresno State (+4)

Nevada has a decent offense with solid quarterback play and two running backs that have combined for almost 1,500 yards on the ground.

Fresno State is in the bottom 15 in rushing defense in the Football Bowl Subdivision,  and it doesn’t get much better with the passing defense.

If this season has not been bad enough for the Bulldogs, they just kicked another player off the team after he was arrested for making violent threats on social media. Here’s to 2016!

Pick: Nevada

BYU at San Jose State (+13.5)

Both teams are coming off a bye week, which means both teams should be rested, healthy and ready to go.

San Jose State is getting back its second-string running back, which should provide help to workhorse senior running back Tyler Ervin, who is No. 3 in the country in rushing yards.

BYU is getting back its starting running back, but could possibly be missing three starters on the offensive line.

This pick is against my better judgement.

Pick: BYU

Colorado State at University of Wyoming (+11)

This is the battle between the team SDSU beat going into its bye week in CSU, and the team SDSU will play after its bye week in Wyoming.

Against SDSU, CSU showed it’s a physical team that will compete at the line of scrimmage and try to shut down the run.

The Cowboys are decent in the running game, but have killed themselves with turnovers and not converting on third down. They have punted 13 more times than opponents.

Pick: Colorado State

Army at Air Force (-17)

This isn’t the last time you’ll read this: Army is one of the worst teams in the FBS. Army averages less than 75 passing yards per game and relies on a run-heavy offense.

Air Force will continue to try to run the ball with its option offense, and if there is a defense to face to get back on track, it’s Army’s. The Army defense gives up nearly 400 yards per game.

Bad bowl name game alert! From now on, refer to this game as the “Fight or Flight Bowl.”

Pick: Air Force

Utah State at University of New Mexico (+14)

Utah State rebounded from its loss against SDSU and showed the FBS world that it is for real.

New Mexico is still the best worst team in college football. Fourteen points is a little lean.

Pick: Utah State

University of Hawaii at UNLV (-9.5)

Hawaii is also making a bid for worst team in the country. The Warriors are sixth-worst in in the country in scoring with only 15.9 points per game.

UNLV head coach Tony Sanchez is on to something in Las Vegas, and look at this game as the latest example of a program being built before our eyes.

Pick: UNLV

Bye Week: Boise State (7-2, 4-1 MW), SDSU (6-3, 5-0 MW)

This week’s odds were set at 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Nov. 4, and come from vegasinsider.com. This is not gambling advice, nor meant to encourage gambling.

Cristian Rangel
Cristian Rangel, Photo Editor
Cristian is spanish major at SDSU, with a minor in Biology. He began working for The Daily Aztec in Fall 2015 and is currently the photo editor for the Spring 2016 semester.  He loves shooting concerts, sports, and anything photography related.