Bring positives to transgender talk

Modern media seems to perpetuate the same transgender narrative over and over — the idea that someone was born in the wrong body, which leads to self-hate and discontentment. While this is true for some transgender individuals, there is a large problem in concentrating on this singular aspect of transgender identities.

This particular transgender narrative focuses on gender dysphoria. Gender dysphoria is characterized as “a marked difference between the individual’s expressed and experienced gender and the gender others would assign him or her,” according to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.

While gender dysphoria is a common set of negative feelings experienced by transgender individuals, there is another aspect that should be addressed more often than it is now, and it is called gender euphoria.

Gender euphoria is essentially the opposite of gender dysphoria. While gender dysphoria encompasses the negative feelings toward one’s assigned gender or parts of one’s body, gender euphoria includes the positive feelings about presenting and being gendered as one’s gender identity.

Gender dysphoria may lead someone to feel discomfort, anxiety and even disgust about his or her assigned gender. Gender euphoria describes elation and joy about identifying with his or her gender.

Transgender individuals may experience varying levels of either dysphoria or euphoria.

Euphoria in regards to being transgender can mean a lot of different things to different transgender people, such as the satisfaction of presenting in a certain way, or the elation when someone publicly genders another correctly.

Some transgender people feel neutral about their assigned gender, but gender euphoria may lead them to realize they would feel fulfilled and happier living and presenting as a different gender than what they were assigned with at birth.

This transgender narrative is just as valid as any other.

When discussing transgender identities, the negative aspects of being transgender are brought too far into the limelight. Yes, being transgender can be traumatic, especially if one’s assigned gender is extremely disquieting to them.

Dysphoria is very harmful and we should not downplay the effect of such emotions.

But how do we reduce the negativity both in and around the transgender community?

Let’s talk about gender euphoria more often than we do now, and emphasize that being transgender should not only be a source of unique pride, but an experience that can be filled with happiness.

Bring positives to transgender talk