This week in Aztec sports history

Jan. 20, 2011

The year 2011 was a special year for the San Diego State men’s basketball program. The team finished off the season with a program record 34 wins and made its first trip to the Sweet 16.

On Jan. 20 the then-No. 6 Aztecs took down Air Force Academy 68-55 to move their record to a perfect 20-0.

The 20-game winning streak was the longest in the nation at that point and still is the school record.

“I still can’t believe it,” Billy White said about the team’s 20-0 start.

The double-double machine himself, Kawhi Leonard, was true to form, grabbing an even 10 rebounds to go along with 10 points.

It was Leonard’s 13th double-double of the season and 30th of his career.

Point guard D.J. Gay led the team with 20 points on the back of a 6-for-11 night from beyond the arc.

Even with the team off to its best start in program history, head coach Steve Fisher had an eye on the future and a game against Jimmer Fredette and then-No. 9 BYU less than a week later in Provo, Utah.

“I think it will have as much attention nationally as any game we’ve ever played,” Fisher said. “They’re really, really good.”

BYU was really, really good that year and the Cougars beat the Aztecs on Jan. 26, 71-58.

The Cougars would serve as the Aztecs’ only two losses in the regular season that year, although they were able to beat them 72-54 in the Mountain West Tournament.

Jan. 19, 2012

Just like 2011 for the men’s team, 2012 was a solid year for the women’s team.

It was the last season the team won the Mountain West Tournament and the last time it made the trip to the NCAA tournament.

It also marked the second-to-last season long-time head coach Beth Burns was at the helm.

The Aztecs beat University of New Mexico on Jan. 19 of that year, 74-48, in a stellar defensive performance in which the team had 15 steals.

“Defense is hard work, we give it a lot of glory on this team,” Burns said.

Courtney Clements had three of those steals and had a team-high 19 points. She entered the game leading the MW in points per game.

“I knew I had to play well in order for us to win,” Clements said. “I go as hard as I can and just hope that everyone else will follow.”

This week in Aztec sports history