Hidden camera suspect charged

A suspect has been charged for hiding a camera in a campus Starbucks bathroom. Courtney Jackson / Staff Photographer

By Robert Moreno, Staff Writer

After a nearly three month long investigation, the San Diego State Police Department has identified and charged a suspect who had allegedly placed a hidden camera in a Starbucks restroom near campus.

James Burkhart, a 25-year-old Colorado resident, has been charged with a misdemeanor for attempting to secretly videotape people in a public restroom,  SDSU Police Capt. Lamine Secka said.

Secka said once charges were filed the SDSU Police Department turned the case over to the San Diego Office of the City Attorney.

Greg Block, director of media relations and new media, said Burkhart has no connection to the university.

The camera was reportedly found on July 17 tucked behind a trashcan in the Starbucks restroom located on the corner of Lindo Paseo and College Avenue. The Starbucks is owned and operated by Aztec Shops, according to Block.

It is still unclear if the camera had recorded footage of victims.

Since the incident, Starbucks has made changes to its bathroom policy. Customers who wish to use the restroom must now ask a Starbucks employee for a coin to enter the bathroom.

Block told 10 News that Burkhart had initially been questioned as a prime suspect.

“When police arrived, the employees pointed an individual out to them and our police were able to interview that individual as a suspect,” Block said.

According to a press release provided by SDSU, Burkhart was notified by the Office of the City Attorney to appear for a scheduled arraignment on Nov. 9 at the downtown courthouse.

The San Diego Office of the City Attorney declined to comment on the case because any case that comes out of its office is not public record.

The case number is M117258 / 638659.

Hidden camera suspect charged