Streaking Aztecs destroy CSU in Colorado

When it rains, it pours. And it poured on Colorado State last Sunday as the San Diego State softball team unleashed an offensive onslaught.

SDSU (27-14) scored early and often as it run-ruled CSU 17-2 in five innings at Ram Field to extend its winning streak to 13 games.

The offensive outburst was sparked by freshman utility Hayley Miles, who went 3-for-3 with four RBIs.

Freshman outfielder Lorena Klopp also stood out for the Aztecs, as she went 2-for-2 and also had four RBIs.

Head coach Kathy Van Wyk noted the team’s hard work is paying off.

“We’ve been getting hotter and hotter offensively,” Van Wyk said. “Today was the culmination of a lot of hard work.”

Even though the offense stood out, junior pitcher Bailey Micetich tossed another solid pitching performance for the Aztecs.

Micetich struck out six, allowed three hits and gave up two runs in her five innings of work.

Klopp was pleased the team left little doubt on Sunday after surviving a close call on Saturday.

“It felt good run-ruling them,” Klopp said. “We showed that we were the better team after (Saturday’s) comeback.”

SDSU almost saw its streak end on Saturday as it was trailing by three runs heading into the seventh inning.

But the Aztecs scored seven runs in the seventh inning to escape with a 15-11 win. Klopp’s three-run home run was the highlight of the inning.

“I’m amazed by Lorena Klopp myself,” Van Wyk said. “She’s just crushing every ball she sees.”

Before the come-from-behind victory on Saturday, SDSU run-ruled New Mexico 8-0 on Friday at Lobo Field.

The Aztecs are back in action this week as they take on Utah at 6 p.m. on Thursday at the SDSU Softball Stadium.