Winston’s brings music and cocktails to OB

Antonio Zaragoza / Photo Editor
Antonio Zaragoza / Photo Editor

Located in the heart of Ocean Beach lies a mishmash of typical college bars that can be found anywhere in San Diego. At 1921 Bacon St., Winston’s stands apart from the pack in this seaside community.

Open since 1986, Winston’s has a little something extra that keeps people coming back for more. This music club has earned a solid reputation for hosting local and touring bands. Every genre of music has been heard here, including bluegrass, Latin, soul, reggae and fusion. Patrons have come to know Winston’s as a venue to see notable bands in one of the most intimate settings in San Diego.

Slightly Stoopid and Los Lonely Boys are just a couple of musical acts that have contributed to its popularity.

While many college students may not be the Grateful Dead fans their parents were, Electric Waste Band has been entertaining crowds as a tribute band with the famous Jerry Garcia band every Monday for the past 15 years. This has become a staple of the club and should be experienced by all visitors to Ocean Beach, deadheads or not.

If patrons think rocking out is just for the professionals, think again. Winston’s has created a unique karaoke tradition every Sunday night, hosted by Winston’s own Jose Sinatra. With a bit of liquid courage, people will find themselves grabbing the microphone and busting out a tune in no time.

While Winston’s is known for its live music, the club hosts events every week. No matter the day, there is always a special event to participate in: Stand-up Comedy Contest Monday, Think and Drink Trivia Tuesday, Listen Local Thursday and The Best of Ocean Beach Comedy every Friday.

Aside from music connoisseurs, sports lovers will also find a home at Winston’s. Washington Redskins and San Diego Chargers fans can enjoy a pitcher of brew while cheering on their teams during football season. Fans from the University of Texas can find the bar sporting the Longhorn’s signature burnt orange too.

For those who want to try their hand at creating cocktails, Winston’s offers a bartending academy so patrons can learn the tricks of the trade. The program runs on Saturdays from 12-4 p.m. for four weeks and provides people at all skill levels the opportunity to learn how to bartend like a professional. This program, however, doesn’t just teach bartenders-to-be in a classroom-type setting. Trainees have the unique chance to learn behind the bar during normal business hours while being guided by experienced mixologists.

As if this club didn’t have enough going for it already, Winston’s is also known for its involvement in many special events and community activities such as the annual Ocean Beach Street Fair, San Diego Oktoberfest, O.B. Pier Party and San Diego Blues Fest. Winston’s even hosts its own film festival.

Always thinking of how to better Ocean Beach, Winston’s continues the idea of giving back. Many of the nightly performances benefit community members who have suffered an injury or loss. Winston’s also works with many charities, including the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and the Ocean Beach MainStreet Association.