SDSU baseball loses second game of series to Fresno State, 10-5

Kelly Smiley

San Diego State baseball’s woes continued in its second game against Fresno State on Saturday afternoon after dropping its seventh straight game, 10-5.

Now with a 1-10 record overall, as well as 0-2 in conference, the loss keeps SDSU in a tie for last place in the Mountain West.

It was the errors that cost the Aztecs in this game, as they committed three leading to five unearned runs charged to junior pitcher Marcus Reyes.

The offense was sparse at best starting out, with both teams combining for just three hits in as many innings, in part due to a diving catch in center field by sophomore Chase Calabuig.

However, it would not last. In the fourth frame, the Bulldogs broke through for four runs, in part due to a costly two-out error made by junior third baseman Andrew Brown.

SDSU would answer back with one in the bottom of the sixth on a Calabuig RBI double, but would fall even further behind immediately in the next half inning.

Fresno scored six runs over the last three innings, coming in a variety of ways. From another error to a home run to a sacrifice fly, by the time the game hit the bottom of the ninth, the Bulldogs had pushed the score to 10-1.

However, the Aztecs would not go down in the last half inning without a fight.

After a single, an error, two more singles and a walk, SDSU scored three runs, bringing the score to 10-4. Sophomore shortstop Alan Trejo came up next with the bases loaded and hit a fielder’s choice to his own position for the second out while scoring one more run. That’s where it would end after Calabuig bunted out to the pitcher to end the game.

“Our guys got to get tougher. That’s all it is. We’ll see how they carry it over tomorrow, it’s up to them,” head coach Mark Martinez said.

Despite being the last out, Calabuig was one of the Aztecs’ most productive players, going 3 for 5 with an RBI. Trejo added two hits and an RBI of his own.

Reyes and junior pitcher Adrian Orozco both had decent outings. Orozco, the starting pitcher, went 2 2/3 innings, striking out four and giving up only one hit to the last batter he faced. Reyes went 5 1/3, striking out seven and walking none while giving up three earned runs.

Reyes would come away with the loss while Fresno pitcher Jimmy Lambert, who went seven innings with nine strikeouts and only one unearned run, would get the win.

The Aztecs conclude their series against the Bulldogs on Sunday at 1 p.m.  

Kelly Smiley, Photo Editor