A.S. update: Elections, student veteran outreach

by Jasmine Bermudez, Staff Writer

The College Life Council of Associated Students shared upcoming events and future plans in their meeting on Wednesday, March 2.

Student Veteran Organization

Student Veteran Organization President Jonathan Reiland said it is important that the San Diego State community knows the veteran organization is not just for veterans. He said he would like to get more involved with the general student body.

Campus Community Commission and Marketing and Communications Committee

Campus Community Commission Representative Siraj Patel said his commission is currently working on making 4,000 business cards for the residence halls that will include safety contact information.

Marketing and Communications Committee Chair Clayton Bishop said he received feedback from students who believed there isn’t a formal protocol to inform students of danger on or near campus. He said students should know there is a text message system available to sign up with through web portal.

Spring events

Elections Committee Chair Ellen Benecke said open campaigning for A.S. elections began Friday, March 4 at 4:30 p.m. She said A.S. will be utilizing social media, the SDSU marquee and spirit cards to market the elections. Elections will take place March 14-17 and the winners will be revealed March 17 in Montezuma Hall.

GreenFest Committee Chair Patty Masengale said the Aztec Rock Battle of the Bands will take place on March 8 at 6 p.m. at Montezuma Hall.

Community Service Commission Representative Meghan Andrade said the last of the green lunch bag series will be from noon to 4 p.m. on March 16 in the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union theater.

Aztec Student Union Board Chair Jamie Miller said ASUB is planning an Arrive Alive simulation on drunk driving, a Let’s Talk About It event on domestic violence and a Roots With Youth event.

Student Diversity Commission Chair Arnelle Sambile said they are planning a workshop on the history of the Aztec mascot.

University Affairs Board Chair Andrea Byrd said there is a sensor in works that will tell people how many parking spots are available in SDSU parking structure. She said there is also a new service dog policy that is being worked on and an active transportation safety video is being made.