A gecko’s goodbye to a ‘Sweet’ SDSU season

San Diego State fans known as “The Show” cheered on the Aztecs throughout their magical 34-3 Sweet 16 run. Antonio Zaragoza / Photo Editor

As I look back on the best season in San Diego State men’s basketball history, I can’t help but wish it never ended. This year has been one that will be forever etched in the history books. Whether it was the 34-3 record, the second consecutive Mountain West Conference Tournament Championship or the journey to the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament, the 2010-11 season will never be forgotten.

When the Aztecs opened their schedule on Nov. 13 last year with a win on the road against Long Beach State, no one knew the end of a magical run would take place around 20 miles east at the Honda Center in Anaheim.

I, as I’m sure many others, would have preferred it to have taken place about 1,500 miles east with SDSU hoisting a national championship in Houston.

But, with that said, it would be a shame not to consider how great a season it has been to be a fan of Aztec basketball.

This has been one of the most thrilling years for me as part of “The Show.” I’ll never forget the countless memories I’ve had, especially with the members who will no longer grace the seats of SDSU’s student section.

The grueling yet unforgettable campout for BYU tickets, the excitement of crowd surfing on the court of Viejas Arena after clinching a share of the MWC regular season title and the joy of beating the Cougars for the MWC Tournament crown are just a few of the memories I’ll cherish during SDSU’s run to the NCAA Tournament.

With the Aztecs earning a No. 2 seed in the Big Dance, SDSU gave its fans even more to remember by defeating Northern Colorado, 68-50. I’m sure I’m not the only one who would consider witnessing the Aztecs win their first-ever NCAA Tournament game as a moment of pure bliss. But this was, without question, no match to the jubilation of every Show member in the McKale Center after SDSU’s 74-64 double-overtime thriller victory against Temple. As we all went crazy celebrating the win, it felt as if nothing could ruin the moment.

This feeling of euphoria stayed with me during the next week as the matchup with Connecticut lingered on my mind. But it wasn’t until Thursday, when myself and fellow Show members Sean Mongan, Matt Bishop, Trevor Bishop and Joel Bishop all jumped into “Show Force One,” that nervousness was added to the mix. This would be one of the biggest games in Aztec history and that was enough to keep me on edge.

Emotions ran high throughout the game, but all feeling seemed to disappear as I watched the final buzzer go off with the score 74-67 in favor of UConn.

As I watched senior forward Malcolm Thomas walk off the court with his jersey pulled over his face, I realized the miraculous season had ended.

I would never again see Thomas along with fellow seniors Mehdi Cheriet, Billy White, D.J. Gay and possibly Brian Carlwell on a basketball court together. I would never again see Mike Lopez as the Aztec Warrior and I would never again stand beside some of my fellow Show members. I didn’t know what to think, what to feel. This had been one of the best seasons I had ever witnessed, but I didn’t imagine it ending the way it did.

Luckily for me, and the other fans on campus last Monday, it didn’t. With last week’s celebration of SDSU’s miraculous season, there was a more suitable conclusion to what will always be remembered as a great time to be an Aztec. And with that, it’s now time to look forward to next year, because The Show must go on.

—Beau Bearden is a journalism senior who plans on returning as GeckShow next year.
—The views expressed in this column do not necessarily reflect the opinion of The Daily Aztec.