SDSU baseball loses low-scoring affair to Texas Tech, 3-1

Katelyn Mulcahy

Despite keeping the high-powered offense of Texas Tech University at bay, San Diego State baseball suffered a 3-1 loss in the first installment of its three-game set in Lubbock, Texas.

Powered by a two-run fifth inning and a shutdown pitching performance, the Red Raiders (27-9) outlasted the Aztecs (10-21) as runs were at a premium.

The Aztecs’ pitching staff rose to the occasion, holding the Red Raiders’ offense to three runs on seven hits, their lowest run output since a 4-3 loss to Baylor University on March 19.

Redshirt-freshman right-hander Harrison Pyatt (0-3) put together another quality start, keeping Texas Tech  scoreless through the first four frames while allowing only three base runners.

The offense was not much help, however, leaving five runners on base in the first four innings and missing out on multiple opportunities to take an early lead.

The Aztecs finally pushed a runner across home in the top of the fifth.

Sophomore catcher Hunter Stratton opened the inning with a single, and worked his way to third base.

With two outs, sophomore shortstop Alan Trejo drove Stratton in with an RBI single, in the process becoming only the second Aztec to tally 20 RBIs this season (along with sophomore third baseman Justin Wylie).

The score gave SDSU a 1-0 lead.

The lead changed hands in the bottom of the frame on a two-run single from junior right fielder Stephen Smith, giving the Red Raiders a 2-1 advantage.

One more run in the sixth, stretching the lead out to 3-1, would be all the insurance that Texas Tech pitching would need, as it held the Aztecs to only one hit in the final four frames, retiring the last 10 batters.

It bodes well for the Aztecs that their pitching staff is keeping them in games, as the Red Raiders have been known to run teams out of the ballpark.

But if SDSU has any intention of picking up a much-needed win during this series, its offense will need to match the efforts of the pitching staff.

The Aztecs will get a chance on Saturday afternoon in game two of the series against Texas Tech.

Zach Engberg, Sports Editor
Zach is a senior at San Diego State University majoring in journalism. Zach was the Sports Editor at The Daily Aztec, where he has been working since 2015. Zach has covered the SDSU football, baseball and women's lacrosse team, while reporting other breaking news stories. Born in San Francisco, Calif., Zach is an avid fan of the SF 49ers, Oakland Athletics and Golden State Warriors, and is still mourning the 2016 Finals loss and Super Bowl XLVII. Zach will someday work as a television sports commentator, joining the likes of Joe Buck, Mike Tirico and Marv Albert.
Katelyn Mulcahy, Staff Photographer
Katelyn is a staff photographer on the Daily Aztec. She is a freshman majoring in journalism with an emphasis in media studies.