Pitching continues to struggle in SDSU baseball’s 10-0 loss to Texas Tech

by Mayer Pohlod, Staff Writer

Editor’s Note: Article updated at 12:30 p.m. on April 17

In the first game of its three-game series against Texas Tech, San Diego State baseball was able to hold the Red Raiders to just three runs in a loss. 

It was not the same story a day later, as the Raiders walloped the Aztecs 10-0 Saturday afternoon in Lubbock, Texas.

The loss put the Aztecs at 10-22 on the season, while the Red Raiders improve to 28-9.

SDSU once again struggled to keep the big inning from getting out of hand.

After the Aztecs’ starting pitcher, junior lefty Marcus Reyes, went 3 1/3 innings while giving up four runs, it wasn’t until the sixth when things got out of hand.

Junior right hander Adrian Orozco came into the game after Reyes, and started his appearance by giving up a leadoff home run. Two outs and five batters later, the Red Raiders’ lead was extended to 8-0 after a sacrifice fly was followed by another home run.

Freshman righty Jordan Wyke relieved Orozco, and gave up a triple that scored two after an error in center field by sophomore David Hensley. Half of the runs in the six-run frame came with two outs. The Aztecs used seven pitchers on the day.

Reyes (0-4) took the loss for SDSU.

Five of SDSU’s six hits came from the bats of sophomore shortstop Alan Trejo, who had three hits, and sophomore outfielder Tyler Adkison, who had two. Trejo had a triple with two outs in the first inning, but was unable to be cashed in.

The Aztecs were just 1-for-7  with runners in scoring position, and left seven men on base. The Raiders weren’t much better but had many more chances, going 3-for-17.

SDSU and Texas Tech play the final game of their three-game series on Sunday. The contest starts at 11:30 a.m.

2 Responses to “Pitching continues to struggle in SDSU baseball’s 10-0 loss to Texas Tech”

1. P on April 17th, 2016 2:48 pm

Hensley made error in center field

2. Richard on April 17th, 2016 3:38 pm

The error in center field was made by sophomore David Hensley who has been starting in center field lately. Chase Calabuig has been playing left field and was when the error was committed by Hensley. When writing something negative about someone please double check your work and if not sure do not print it ,, thank you