Senior farewell: Alek Sanchez

by Alek Sanchez, Senior Staff Writer

It’s funny how things work out in these four short years. I’ve changed my major, made new friends, watched the Student Union finally finish being built, and even got a new car. But throughout my time here at SDSU, one thing has always been constant: writing for the Daily Aztec.

I feel like I’ve covered it all since my time as a freshman. I have gone from covering video game releases, to movie premieres and sold-out concerts, to school clubs profiles and my favorite foodie spots.

Writing with the Daily Aztec proved to be one of the most cathartic escapes I had when the hell-fire of midterms and projects would rain down upon me. It’s an indescribable feeling: looking back at something you’ve created, that never existed before this moment in time, and seeing your name attached to it. It’s something you can call yours. I was blessed to have the opportunity to go out and experience new things, and share them with an audience of my peers, and I am forever thankful for that.

Whether it was creating it, sharing it, or embracing it, music has always been a huge part of my life. The love for music came first, and the writing naturally followed.

These moments came to define my college career. Who else can say that they were able to see Drake perform at Viejasfor work?! That was probably my favorite piece, and boy did it make for a hell of a cover story.

It’s up there and tied for “My favorite moment”,  with this piece where I got to play photographer for the night and take some photos for the Arcitc Monkeys’ return to San Diego. Standing literally inches away from Arctic Monkeys frontman, Alex Turner, I was up close and personal with one of the last true rock stars from this generation.

During my sophomore and junior years, I found my place covering all the biggest shows and concerts that San Diego were blessed to have (Shoutout to doing Weekend Picks with Ryo). Electronic music was blowing up to mainstream levels, and I was lucky enough to have a voice to comment on it.

Although Entertainment no longer exists, I am happy to have found a home in Arts and Lifestyle. SDSU is bursting with creative and passionate individuals who go above and beyond what they are asked to do, and I have been extremely lucky to share my experiences from meeting these students and faculty. It’s crazy to think that this will be last byline ever.

If I could pass one thing on to whoever gets to read this, it would be to have fun! Go out and find what makes you happy, and stick with it as long as you can. Take an ENS class, join a club, or even treat yourself out to a nice meal. Whatever it is, go for it and don’t regret it, you never know where it can take you.