SDSU College Republicans host David Horowitz on campus

by Jocelyn Moran, Staff Writer

With several police officers surrounding the room and two security guards by his side, David Horowitz visited San Diego State in the Park Boulevard room of the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union on May 6 to discuss the role of freedom of speech and to give his reasoning behind posting fliers accusing students and faculty of being “allied with Palestinian terrorists.”

SDSU College Republicans hosted the event and around 90 students and San Diego citizens welcomed him inside the room without being disrupted by protesters, despite a previous warning of a 100-person march by the Muslim Student Union.

“We saw the protester’s side, and now we got to see Horowitz’s side uninterrupted,” said Monique Dela Cruz, publicist for SDSU College Republicans.

“The main message I got was basically, there will be different opinions on campus, and we will face criticism, and that is okay because in order to be educated, we need to hear different opinions and perspectives,” she said.

Horowitz held a press conference in Montezuma Hall before the event to release his statement addressing the recent protest against President Elliot Hirshman for not condemning the fliers strongly enough.

“From my point of view, the story is about free speech on this campus,” Horowitz said.

He said one of the reasons behind posting the fliers was because access to speaking on a college campus is closed.

“People who are not leftists are as rare as unicorns and the penalty for speaking out on an issue like this is very severe,” he said. “You get called a racist and an Islamophobe.”

Horowitz made it clear he did not call the names listed on the posters terrorists, but instead said they were allied with terrorists. He also said he did not target Muslims as many names on the posters are non-Muslim names.

“The posters were targeting the BDS campaign which is to get universities to divest from Israel and to strangle the Jewish state,” he said.

He said the BDS movement was inspired by terrorist organizations and is funded by a Hamas network, and his reason for listing specific names is to hold them accountable.

“These are Jew haters. Their agenda is to destroy. It’s genocidal,” he said.

Students listed on the fliers have denied being allied with terrorist groups, and following the protest against Hirshman, students met with him to try to reach an agreement. On May 4, several community members called for him to resign.

Inside the actual event, Horowitz focused on anti-semitism and the lack of control of these organizations in universities.

He said he thought Hirshman should have disciplined the students through suspension or at least a lecture for trapping him in a car and for not practicing civil discourse.

“If the president of this university had balls, he would invoke the principles of community that this university is supposed to operate on,” he said.

He ended his discussion by revealing why posting the fliers was the most effective way to get his message out.

He said the only way he could get people to listen is through those posters because of the media it reached by “ticking off the left side.”

Because of personal experience, Horowitz said he would not encourage students to be political.

“They should focus their energies on learning and be eager to hear opinions that disagree with them and learn how to answer that,” he said.

5 Responses to “SDSU College Republicans host David Horowitz on campus”

1. J on May 6th, 2016 4:00 pm

Some students wrote about attending the event (found this on Facebook – names removed for their own safety, because we’ve seen how Horowitz likes to operate):

Some SDSU students decided to attend last night’s Horowitz event to see what President Hirshman has essentially welcomed onto our campus. Here is their account with names removed for safety:
    “So for those of you who don’t know, there’s this guy David Horowitz who placed some posters around campus that named specific SDSU students as terrorists because they’re affiliated with Students for Justice in Palestine. Keep in mind that he’s not an SDSU student, but a 77 year old well-known conservative activist. Of course there was an uproar about these posters, and the president of the university sent out an email acknowledging this issue, but refused to condemn the posters and rather “supported the right of all parties to voice their positions”. This has led to an even bigger uproar, with many students calling for President Hirshman to resign.
    So last night [we] found out that this Horowitz dude was giving a speech on campus and we decided to check it out to see how cringe-worthy his speech would be. Being that he made posters calling students terrorists, I had an idea of what we were getting into, but I had no idea how awful it would be. Never in my life have I seen such open, unapologetic racism and bigotry spew out of a person’s mouth. He started off saying that Students for Justice in Palestine are advocating for the extermination of all Jewish people and they’re Nazis. He said that the US should not be accepting immigrants from any “Arab nations”. He also talked about issues that have nothing to do with Israel or Palestine, like “nobody was morally opposed to slavery until the 1800s”, “slavery already existed in Africa for thousands of years”, and the biggest shocker “black people should be thanking white people for fighting against slavery”.
    He also explained that black people shouldn’t feel oppressed because we have a black president, we’ve had 2 black secretaries of state, “cities like Atlanta have black mayors, black school district chairs, black city council”, etc., and he said that “there is no other country in the world where a minority has this much power”. Not to mention he said that Obama is a Communist who was inspired by Soviet government. Then the moment we were all waiting for, at the very end of the speech he complimented Donald Trump’s foreign policy. And guess what? Donald Trump actually seems like Martin Luther King compared to this racist turd.
    Why am I sharing this? Because I am horrified and disgusted that this school would welcome this man to speak his backward, hateful beliefs here. And it’s not like he was one of the Jesus freaks who stand outside on campus and shout at people, this was an organized event; he was given a nice room to speak in with campus security and police everywhere to protect him from protestors. Keep in mind David Horowitz was included in a list of top 10 Islamophobes in America and his organization is classified as a hate group.
    Regardless of where you stand on the Israel/Palestine issue, I hope we can all agree that this is unacceptable. Not only did President Hirshman refuse to condemn this man calling students terrorists, but allowed him the opportunity to come speak. If you weren’t calling for Hirshman to resign before, this should be the icing on the cake for you.”
    ‪#‎NoHateAtState‬ ‪#‎HirshmanMustGo‬

2. Aristotle Bean on May 19th, 2016 9:13 pm

Horowitz turned out to be a breath of fresh air. He was so grounded and a later fact-check I did proved every historical fact he laid out to be accurate. But best of all was the depth of his insights.

Best of all, he handled the ankle-biting leftists who sought to chsllenge him with easy-going but devastating logic and reasoning.

I can understand why butt-hurt left wingers might retaliate in the school newspaper comments to attempt to succeed where they so obviously failed at his speech and Q&A. Cowardice is not an easy thing to face, J.

3. Bill Humpf on May 25th, 2016 11:42 am

Just because J does’t like what the brilliant Mr. Horowitz says does not mean he shouldn’t be allowed to speak. Its called Freedom of Speech. Read the First Amendment to the Constitution – if you know what that is. The true hate mongers and racists in our society are Al Sharpton, Farrakhan and obama, who has set race relation back about 75 years.

4. gary fouse on May 9th, 2016 10:44 am

“If the president of this university had balls, he would invoke the principles of community that this university is supposed to operate on,”

And if the queen had balls, she would be the king. Unfortunately, there are few university presidents in this country who have balls. That is why a guy like Hirshman can be surrounded by a mob in his police cruiser for two hours and nothing is done about it.

As for the above comment, what ” this Horowitz dude” says is that SJP supports groups like Hamas who want to kill every last Jew in Israel, which is true.

You may disagree with Horowitz, but you need to learn a lesson about what free speech is all about. This is America, not Iran.

5. Anonymous on July 10th, 2016 1:37 am

If Horowitz’s visit is protected by free speech, then so is the BDS movement.

The BDS movement has every right to criticize Israel without having its members singled out and labelled as “terrorist”. The BDS movement is clearly protected by the First Amendment.

To Aristotle Bean, Bill Humpf, gary fouse and the SDSU college republicans:
    I am sorry, but it is still Freedom of Speech even if you don’t agree with the BDS message.