[UPDATED]: Video of SDSUPD forcefully detaining man sparks campus demonstrations

This story was updated at 7:45pm. 

A video shot on San Diego State campus appears to show two San Diego State Police Department officers forcefully detaining a non SDSU student earlier this afternoon.

Students took to social media with the hashtag #BlackUnderAttackSDSU to share the video.

Students in the African Student Union began marching through campus to protest earlier actions by SDSUPD. They were outside Manchester Hall, where the doors had reportedly been locked.

Kevin Archangel, a senior communications major said the African Student Union wants answers from the police.

“We’ve heard of things like this off-campus, but for it to be on-campus, especially after we had a dialogue about it earlier, it doesn’t make sense,” communications junior, Ceinna Bush said. “We’re mad, we’re angry, we’re sad. It’s just crazy.”

The dialogue she is referring to is an open forum between Interim Chief Joshua Mays and SDSU students, hosted by the Center for Intercultural Relations this morning.

In the open forum, Mays had expressed a desire to build a better relationship with the SDSU community.

“I know it’s going to explode,” health communications senior, Breanna Bridges said to SDSU administration. “It hasn’t yet, but it’s going to boil over, so you need to do something about it.”

Other students saw the video and joined ASU outside of Manchester Hall.

“There’s pros and cons about the video basically because nobody knows what happens,” senior psychology major, Billy Carter said. “They slammed him hard and he yelled, he wasn’t really fighting back because they were breaking his arm.”

After Mays announced at 5 p.m. that he would return with a police statement, ASU students remained outside of Manchester Hall.

“As the African Student Union we would like to address different political issues that concern people of our community and background,” Archangel said. “We understand officers and their protocol but this is a protocol of us as well. This is us standing in solidarity.”

SDSUPD made a statement outside of Manchester Hall around 5:30 p.m.

Mays said the investigation is still ongoing.

“At 12:42, the police department received a phone call of a gentleman that appeared to be under the influence of potential narcotics,” Mays said.

SDSUPD received a second phone call advising that the subject was possibly under the influence of narcotics. Allegedly, the subject also jumped a construction fence at the Cal Coast Open Air Theater, Mays said.

“A staff member who saw the person jump the construction fence and then jump back asked if the person needed help,” Mays said. “There was an exchange between the staff member that concerned them and this staff member also reported this incident to police.”

Officers confronted the individual in front of the Starbucks in the Student Union.

“The officers at that time had determined that they were going to place the individual under arrest based on (his) physical symptomatology of being under the influence of a controlled substance,” Mays said.

When the police tried to arrest the suspect, they said he was uncooperative.

“What happened before and what happened after are still being under investigation,” Mays said.

According to police, the subject was uninjured transported to county jail and booked for under the influence of a controlled substance and resisting arrest.

Officer Mays answered questions from students at the protest about the arrest after making the statement.

“Our main question was why was he being arrested with that level of force,” ASU president, Toni Sparrow said. “Not all of our questions were answered, but once they are, we will be sending out a statement. We don’t disagree with what the officer was saying, we wanted to know why he was arrested in that manner.”

After the protest Viviana Delgadi, a freshman political science major, said she didn’t feel like all of her questions were answered. 

“I’m happy the police tried to make the effort to come and talk to the students but I don’t think the questions were very represented of everybody and I think it should have been a little bit longer,” Delgadi said. 

She said that she wants them to have another more interactive session with students where more of their questions can be answered.

After hearing what Interim Chief Mays said Delgadi changed her opinion about how the police handled the incident.

“I recognize that at first they are trying to protect us and I really respect them for that but I think it could have been handled a lot differently,” Delgadi. “I like having context for it and I still think they were a little too brutal but I can see why they took the actions that they took.” 

Department of Science employee Jeanette Corona saw the suspect get handcuffed.

Corona said she does not support Mays’ being more present in the CIR.

“Police brutality, students feeling fear, students being affected by on campus police presence and I come out to violence,” Corona said.  It left me asking more questions. I am holding onto questions that I would like to personally ask Chief Mays,” Corona said.

Additional reporting by Managing Editor Jamie Ballard.

9 Responses to “[UPDATED]: Video of SDSUPD forcefully detaining man sparks campus demonstrations”

1. James on September 15th, 2016 11:42 pm

Really, I cant believe people today. I understand there has been police brutality. But this isn’t even close. For students to say ‘WE (African Americans) are under attack” are idiotic. Saw the news and an African American women asked ” Would they do that if he was white?” The police were called. The police talked to the man. He then started to walk away. The police did their job professional. They tried to detain him and he resisted. Not every time an officer interactions is a racist incident. These people who bring race into this are just racist themselves and should be punished. I have no hope for this country when this idiots are in charge.

2. Guero on September 16th, 2016 7:28 am

Young people, please go to school and focus on your studies.

Do not be influenced or distracted by those who do not respect rules and regulations and who do not respect authority.

Do not be influenced by those that show support for those who do not respect authority.

3. Hugh Mungus on September 16th, 2016 12:15 pm

Smh fam he didn’t do nuffin

4. tone on September 17th, 2016 7:44 am

The person recording the video needs to shut up. The subject was resisting arrest so the officers used more force on him. Had he just complied, there would be no issue. And the person recording asking, “Is this necessary? ” Yes, it is necessary since you can see him struggling with the cops.

5. Ash Tieg on September 17th, 2016 9:22 pm

If he is innocent then he shld’ve listened to the officers when he was told to do so Not resisting to them. Obviously a person that is under the influence can be combative & erratic.
    Regardless this is not abt color, race or origin its abt individuals action.That is how the protocol works.

6. Cynt on September 18th, 2016 3:20 pm

So the 1st comment shows the lack of understanding that brutality from police affects us all, but mainly us (American Africans). The man did not have to be treated as such. 2nd comment is go to skool and forget the inhumanity that continues to grow. The 3rd comment, well we didnt have to wait long for that did we. So a coon, a liberal and racist walk into a bar…..

7. Melvin on September 18th, 2016 5:47 pm

The guy was resisting arrest the whole time. Yeah, the put weight on him, and he was still resisting.

So here’s a question: someone breaks the law by being stoned in public, do the police ignore him?

All I can say is this was not a lot of force. The police restrained him until he was h dear control. No injuries.

My guess is the protesting students have no idea what police brutality can be. Student privilege, clearly.

8. El Rojo on September 19th, 2016 9:36 am

Sorry, this was a legit use of force. The man was most likely being detained. He could have established that by asking if he was being detained. Since he was being detained, he was not free to leave and when he tried to do so, was stopped. He escalated his resistance and the police had to hold him down until more back up arrived.

Unfortunately the man filming is not very knowledgeable about police tactics and asks some of the stupidest questions, but at least he was filming as he should have been doing. Without the film, we might not have seen this was a completely justified use of force.

Learn your rights people. When you are being detained, you are not free to go. It would have been much safer for the suspect if he had simply complied and sat down. He probably would have been questioned (which he is under no obligation to answer questions) and been free to go after it was concluded he committed no crime.

9. PJ on September 26th, 2016 12:19 pm

The police received several calls about this man’s behavior, they were detaining him and trying to get him to turn around and go with them peacefully, but he chose to try to walk away, and then he resisted. I am white and, when I made what was said a wrongful left turn on 55th St, the SDSU officer asked me to get out my license, insurance and registration. When I reached for the glove compartment, he pulled out his gun and started yelling for me to put my hands up. I had my cell phone on the dashboard and I told him I was dialing 911, which I did with 1 hand and I told the operator I thought he was going to shoot me. He gave me a ticket for failing to show proof of insurance and registration, and I won that case in court, as I was in fear of my life. So, the SDSU police aren’t targeting only one race – they are doing their job. I thought the officers reaction was excessive, and so did his supervisor, but they never admitted that it was to me.