Letter: Emotional Trump story lacked facts

Editor,

Sydney Sweeney’s article “Why do Millennials back Trump?” is saturated in emotion, not fact.

One of the claims Sweeney makes is that anyone who agrees with conservative values is preserving a “systematically discriminatory government.” Yet, ironically, all the racial tensions we see bubbling out on the street are happening under a P.O.C. (person of color) Democratic leader.

Sweeney also claims that college Trump supporters are “cis-gender, straight, white…and raised in comfortable homes.” Yet here I am, a P.O.C. and a woman, who has lived below the poverty line for the entirety of my life, fully backing Trump.

Why is it that we have to rationalize our support for our Republican candidate? Why is it that many Clinton supporters do not mention the fact that she has taken millions of dollars from countries that murder members of the LGBT community? These “email habits,” as Sweeney naively calls them, were the reason that Americans died in Benghazi. Her being under three concurrent FBI investigations should be enough to raise some eyebrows and make people reconsider their votes.

I am a proud second generation American. I know that if I went anywhere else, I would not have the same opportunities that I have here. Why has it become such a taboo to say that we love our country? Our country has given us the right to be able to have varying opinions, yet many people want to silence those that do not subscribe to their own way of thinking.

I hope you join me on Nov. 8 so we can make America great again.

Breeana Leyva, English Junior

One Response to “Letter: Emotional Trump story lacked facts”

1. Cynthia Collins on November 18th, 2016 9:05 pm

Thank you, Beeana Leyva, for a refreshing editorial statement. It gives me hope that not all students share the view that Sydney Sweeney expressed. I, too, am parents of immigrants, and can’t say enough about the opportunities my family has had versus staying in Communist China. I think some of these people need a dose of reality…lack of gratitude and respect for this great country is obvious by their behavior. Perhaps they should go live in a third world country…or a communist/socialist country, to know why people continue to immgrate here, both legally and illegally!