Campus organizations spread HIV awareness on World AIDS Day

Elissa Tauscher, Staff Photographer

Elissa Tauscher, Staff Photographer

Elissa Tauscher, Staff Photographer

by Katie White, Contributor

San Diego State held its annual World AIDS Day on Thursday, Dec. 1 in the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union where organizations gathered to educate students on how to prevent HIV.

Since 1988, World AIDS Day has been taking place on Dec. 1 internationally. This day is meant to give people a chance to show support for those who have HIV and remember those who died from the disease.

SDSU took part in spreading awareness on campus through different events throughout the day.

The Visual AIDS film, Compulsive Practices, was played at The Pride Center Multipurpose Room. The film was created by Jean Carlomusto, Alexandra Juhasz and Hugh Ryan. The hour-long film is a compilation of nine artists and activists who film how they are affected by HIV and AIDS.

“I think it’s important to recognize the battle that these people go through and it’s great that they have their own day,” social work junior Luis Prado said. “It’s a good opportunity to raise awareness and to educate those who may be uninformed on the disease.

Resource tabling was located on Centennial Walkway and in the student union. It included various organizations featured on campus as well as an informative table specific to World AIDS Day in order to educate students on the disease.

“We have been doing it for a number of years off and on, but we are mainly here because it is a world-wide event to educate students to protect themselves and prevent HIV from spreading to other people,” Health Educator Kashmoné Hamilton said.

The Student Wellness Center provided flyers that included different STD clinics and tips on avoiding HIV. They also offer STD testing for all students.

“I consider myself to be very health conscious so when I found out the wellness center is now offering these services it gave me a sense of pride in my school,”  finance senior Mathias Munoz said.