Headstrong hosts toy drive

Christian Hicks

Christian Hicks

by Maya Carter, Staff Writer

The students of San Diego State are giving back this holiday season at the campus organization Headstrong’s annual toy drive.

The toy drive on Dec. 1, was organized as a way for students to give to children in need who come from disadvantaged homes and may not receive many, if any, gifts on Christmas.

For those unable to bring a gift, a table was set up with various art supplies so that students could write cards wishing the children well this holiday season.

Students could also stay to enjoy food as well as entertainment from the SDSU Dance Team and a DJ.

The proceeds from the Toy drive are going to the Polinsky Children’s Center, a 24-hour facility for the temporary emergency shelter of children who must be separated from their families for safety or in cases in which their families could not provide care.

“The holiday season is such a good time to appreciate all that you have and makes you want to do good for others who are less fortunate,” said the Headstrong Secretary Jenna Stearns.

Headstrong president Kyle Gunning said he always encourages students to join Headstrong and attend the bi-weekly meetings where students recently gathered to talk about professions and give career advice.

“We’re trying to give them a good holiday,” he said. “Headstrong is a group on campus that promotes healthy lifestyles and living with a healthy mind, body and spirit which is why many events revolve around community service.”

To learn more about Headstrong and giving back, be sure to visit their website.