SDSU Walking Club takes it one step at a time

The SDSU Walking Club meets twice a week for a two mile loop around campus.

Kelly Smiley

Kelly Smiley

Lace up those walking shoes because San Diego State has a walking club.

Personal trainers Brian Tabor and Anthony Sawh started the SDSU Walkign Club two years ago. They wanted to connect with more people and had a lot of free time during lunch.

“Our motivation was to try to do something to connect with more people,” Tabor said. “People overlook walking as a way to stay fit.”

The trainers started with a group of five people, but now the group varies from 10 to 30 people.

It is mostly made up of faculty and staff.

Marilyn Bredvold, assiatant to the dean of education, is one of the club’s members.

“The route is good and convenient,” Bredvold said. “Anyone can join in different places because it does cover most areas of campus.”

Tabor said the club’s goal is to not keep it too structured.

“Our goal is to get more people moving and encourage them to keep moving,” Tabor said. “If people want to get their own group together as well, that would be awesome.”

The walk itself isn’t too strenuous and is  a potential social break for people to walk and talk with each other.

“Walking is a fantastic way to get people moving,” Tabor said.

The group begins walking their roughly two-mile long walk promptly at noon every Tuesday and Thursday infornt of the Aztec Recreation Center. All interested members need to do is show up.

The walking path goes around the Calpulli Center, the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union, the SDSU Bookstore and the Geology, Mathematics and Computer Science building.

Then the group heads back behind the Arts and Letters building, through the koi pond and finishes by going up the Greek steps.

A map of the route is posted on the Strong Made Simple website where people can get more information and sign up for the weekly newsletter.

Tabor writes the weekly newsletter and said people who are interested in the club should sign up to find information like cancellations, weather delays or fitness tips.

The walking route rarely changes. It stays consistent to create a routine for the walkers. When the route changes, the number of walkers tends to diminish.

Tabor said the walking club is a really supportive group where members can share their lives with each other.

“The walking club has helped me by not only providing a group of fellow Aztecs who want to get exercise during the day, but it is also a good opportunity to get to know people all across campus,” Bredvold said.

Tabor and Sawh chose to created a club revolved around walking because it is simple, accessible and not intimidating.

“Walking is the easiest way to reach out to people and get them more active,” Tabor said.

The SDSU Walking Club welcomes anyone and encourages everyone to join.

To join there are no requirements.

“Thirty minutes a day is enough to create a positive impact on peoples’ health and you can make further progress with walking,” Tabor said.

One Response to “SDSU Walking Club takes it one step at a time”

1. Brian Tabor on August 28th, 2017 4:04 pm

The best way for people interested in connecting with the walking group is by signing up for updates at https://strongmadesimple.com/sdsu-walking