Border apprehensions up amid political uncertainty

A child standing in Tijuana peers through the border fence at Friendship Park.

Jocelyn Moran

Jocelyn Moran

by Jocelyn Moran, Mundo Azteca Editor

After U.S. Customs and Border Protection said construction of prototypes would be completed by September in a June press conference in Washington D.C., funding for President Donald Trump’s wall is yet to be approved by Congress.

On Tuesday, Aug. 22, Trump threatened to shut down the government if Congress did not approve funding on the southern border in a rally in Phoenix.

“Let me be very clear to Democrats in Congress who oppose the border wall and stand in the way of border security,” Trump said. “You are putting all of America’s safety at risk.”

Days after entering office, Trump signed an executive order to hire 5,000 more border patrol agents to U.S. Customs and Border Protection, but the hiring of those agents has proved to be a challenge.

San Diego controls one of 20 sectors at the border with 2,400 border patrol agents guarding it. In that sector, agents are responsible for 60 miles, with only 46 miles having some type of fence. Of those 46 miles, 13 miles have a second fence, taller than the first one.

In a border tour given to members of the National Association of Hispanic Journalists on Aug. 19 and led by border patrol agents Eduardo Olmos and Saul Rocha, Rocha said he believed the San Diego sector was understaffed.

Rocha said a typical day at work involves going into the office, where the supervisor gives a safety brief and assignments. Agents then get their keys to their vehicle and have one hour to get to the location assigned. The day consists of watching the fence for eight hours.

He said when assigned to the mountains, agents are prepared to hike and work alone.

According to a nationwide border patrol apprehensions list provided by U.S. Border Patrol, San Diego’s apprehensions was more than 68,500 in fiscal 2010, and in fiscal 2016, the number was close to 32,000.

San Diego State economics professor James Gerber said more people have left the U.S. in comparison to those who have come to the U.S.

“A lot of people think it is due to the efforts of the border agencies, but that is only one part of it,” he said. “A lot of it is the demographics of Mexico. While Mexico’s economy isn’t in crisis, it is unlikely that there will be another wave of immigrants like in other times.”

Through all sectors and in only the San Diego sector, the total number of apprehensions has increased between 2015 and 2016.

Nationwide, there was a 23.3 percent increase between fiscal 2015 and fiscal 2016, and in San Diego, there was a 17.6 percent increase.

Rocha said on average, 70 people are apprehended daily in the San Diego sector.

Through July 31, in San Diego, the total number of apprehensions in 2017 is over 21,500.

50 Responses to “Border apprehensions up amid political uncertainty”

1. E.T. on August 26th, 2017 11:40 am

Build the wall now.

ted g Reply:

I just love how the liberals want to blame America and Americans for the citizens of mexico, having been born in Mexico, who wish to come into this country, who aren’t allowed in without proper application(and become denied), and then blame that as their moral right to break into this country illegally.
    So it’s the fault of the americans for someone who’d born in another country, who cannot get in without properly waiting “their turn”.
    mental illness

Pilot Dave Reply:

Right on… after all, Mexico lost their war with the USA. So, by Liberal’s logic, these illegals have rights to SE states…

Mark Cayco Reply:

Italy legalized abortion in 1980. Spain and France. Illegal in Mexico. Philippines. Most of Africa Middle East and Latin America. Look how they live. Poverty. Corruption Terrorism Famine . Why keep having kids in unstable/toxic situations w JERKS who DON’T CARE?!? then scratch your head wondering why life is hard?!?human trafficking/ illegal immigration feeds off the frustrated, despair and hopelessness. The Middle East especially NEEDS abortion : FACT. See map. WAKE UP!!! Prevention is key. But be realistic. CHAOS THRIVES IN THE RED

http://worldabortionlaws.com

2. Daniel Mitchell on August 26th, 2017 11:53 am

The headline says border crossings up. Am I missing the part of the article that says that??

Andrew Dyer Reply:

Headline has been updated to say “apprehensions.” Number of crossings is unknowable. Thank you.

-Ed.

JBH Reply:

Drudge still has “crossings” not apprehensions.

Scott Zagoria Reply:

How many of the ‘apprehended’ were US citizens carrying medical marijuana, one wonders.

Markey Farrell Reply:

Why would anyone risk getting ‘medical marijuana’ from any source in Mexico?
    How could you possibly know the content of whatever you were buying.
    AND, risk being caught transferring (smuggling) over an international border?
    Just go to one of 26 (soon add 3 more) states, three of which border Mexico.

Dan Reply:

Thank you!

JohnLeeHooker Reply:

apprehensions

Thomas Payne Reply:

I only scanned the article, but the funny thing is, I have the same question. If I missed something, my apologies. But if not, then what the he!! does the title have to do with the article?

3. Mike Herman on August 26th, 2017 12:09 pm

What’s dumber than giving Hispanic Journalists a tour of weak border areas to report back to Mexico?

Scott Zagoria Reply:

weak border areas are generally us locations where the average citizen has the education of a nebraskan. have you noticed all of the place names are spanish? ever wonder why? let’s talk about 1848, brainiac.

Markey Farrell Reply:

With a very quick search, you will find Nebraska is ranked 14th or 18th in education of US States, you elitist, stereotyping cretin.

https://wallethub.com/edu/most-educated-states/31075/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_educational_attainment

I would ask what state you are from, but it won’t matter. You’re an imbecile regardless.

David Rapalyea Reply:

It took me all of 45 seconds to find similar results. Though I suspect we are not properly respecting either the pronoun nor the feelings of the incurious individual. Feeelings are very important Facts(!) to progressives.

Stewart Teaze Reply:

In 1848 the border was correctly reset back to reflect the original claim (passed from England to USA) made in the late 1500s when Sir Francis Drake landed (and claimed all areas as “Nova Albion”) North of Spain’s farthest claim made by Cabrillo (near San Diego)… But they don’t teach you that in school, do they?

4. Bill Cox on August 26th, 2017 12:11 pm

It looks like we not only need to finish the barriers at the border, but to increase the number of agents.

Amos Reply:

correction. . . “intelligent” agents.

5. Frank on August 26th, 2017 12:19 pm

Finally……

6. William Rice on August 26th, 2017 12:34 pm

Please build the Wall!!! We don’t need criminal aliens, drug smugglers, illegal aliens, terrorists, or gang members walking across the Border to take advantage of the American way of life. True immigrants know how to apply to enter, we welcome them!!!

Travvy Reply:

We need a Border Wall at our Southern Border, like Mexico has AT THEIR SOUTHERN BORDER.

“A Country without Borders, is not a Country.”

Jack Ramirez Reply:

You are 100% correct. The Washington Post did a long piece on Acapulco – the most deadly place in Mexico. The U.S. is warning people not to go to 90% of the country because of the dangerous drug cartels. Tourists are being drugged by hotel bartenders, using homemade alcohol. Some have died. Two in one family from Indiana. It’s unsafe. Stay away. Build the wall!

7. Jack McDowell on August 26th, 2017 1:14 pm

Ok – we get it – there are children near the wall – but three of the twelve photos are the same kid.

Btw – just completed a 10 month process of watching our court systems struggle to deport an illegal who was convicted of a sex related crime against ny 13 year old daughter. He confessed in the day he was arrested and it took 10 months to send him back. And the only reason he went back to El Salvador is due to his decision to waive his rights. He was so tired of being incarcerated that he told the immigration judge to stop trying to convince him to stay.

A wall is just a going to put a bandaid on a shotgun wound. Our judicial system is completely working in their favor. God help us!

Amos Reply:

Was the so-called judge a Democrat pointed? If so, we know where he is coming from. Obama corrupted the whole Federal Judiciary. These Obama judges rule from political prejudice not from the law.

joe Reply:

The wall will not stop illegal crossings 100% but it will stop more than 50% of them.
    That saves alot of money spent on welfare and crime and drug related problems.

Markey Farrell Reply:

I wish God can somehow bring peace to your daughter and your family.
    The problem with courts goes directly to who gets elected.
    Check your local state state (and federal) historical voting trends. It is a safe bet those results correlate directly with the legal system problem. Voting has consequences.

Jack McDowell Reply:

Unfortunately – it pains me to say that the judge was appointed in March by Jeff Sessions. But since the judge was newly appointed, she seemed nervous to make a mistake that would be explored by the illegal criminals activist groups.

Btw – the arresting officer told me that he has yet to meet a male from El Salvador that understand why he must treat women with respect. The scum inviolved in my family’s case got a free psyche evaluation because he kept telling his attorney that he did not understand why he was arrested and that he did nothing wrong.

Believe me – the evil walking our streets are after our children and Obama is to blame. Yes to the Wall – but we need to do something about due processs for illegals who commit serious crimes – especially involving children!

8. Geraldo on August 26th, 2017 1:30 pm

The wall should be double, very tall and thick all across the South border.

9. Johnny on August 26th, 2017 2:17 pm

Right!

10. Dave Coleman on August 26th, 2017 2:48 pm

I’m sure immigrants who came to America legally and through the proper process don’t want illegal immigration any more than do people born in America. President Trump’s job is to look after the interests of U.S. citizens only. We need a border wall to secure the country, the same way a home needs walls and a door. Liberals don’t leave the doors to their houses open all the time, allowing anyone to walk in. Hollywood movie stars who are for open borders and sanctuary cities live in gated communities surrounded by bodyguards. They don’t allow people to just walk in, they don’t give any sanctuary to illegal aliens. They never practice what they preach, and they are never affected by the consequences of the policies they promote. Hypocrites all!

11. Amos on August 26th, 2017 3:16 pm

Mexico built a wall and no one complained.
    The Communist built the Berlin Wall and the MSM did not complain.
    Stalin built the Iron Curtain and the MSM didn’t complain.
    Trump wants to build a wall and the MSM goes berserk.

Will Dalrymple Reply:

You are so right. Another example is how the MSM treats the wall that the Israelis built to protect themselves from exploding Arabs.

mike Reply:

There is no physical barrier called the Iron Curtain.

Alan Stewart Reply:

Churchill coined the phrase “Iron Curtain” knowing the people in eastern Europe would be enslaved by communism. The Iron Curtain was a physical barrier consisting of walls, barbed wired, heavily armed troops patrolling and denial of free movement to the people of eastern Europe.

12. JBH on August 26th, 2017 4:07 pm

Border crossing APPREHENSIONS are up. Not bordercrossings. Please correct your misleading headline.

13. JBH on August 26th, 2017 4:12 pm

Why have not progressive liberals demanded that you change your racist name Daily Aztec ?

Stewart Teaze Reply:

Oh, they HAVE TRIED and TRIED, but they keep LOSING… and the Aztecs keep WINNING.

… but, of course, the CA schools are all SANCTURARIES for criminals (but only if those criminal felons are ILLEGAL ALIENS!).

14. Dude on August 26th, 2017 4:16 pm

Imagine what it would be like right now if Hillary were president. We would have hit a million by now, all claiming they are running from domestic violence or threats by mysterious anonymous drug gang members.

Nothing proveable of course.

15. Thomas Payne on August 26th, 2017 4:19 pm

Who gives a blue hairy $hit what any of these morons report anymore, anyway? Enforce the law, that’s all that needs to be done. And this President has begun to enforce the law, once again. So all the idiots* who want to cram as many illegal votes under the fence as possible . . . sorry . . . you lost.

* That would be the democrats and puke-faced republican establishment cowards

16. Jeffrey Davidson on August 26th, 2017 4:29 pm

BUILD THE WALL NOW!!!
    No more illegals.

17. jbspry on August 26th, 2017 6:54 pm

“God Loves Us All.”

May be.

But that only begs the question: “Then why did he put some of us in clean, orderly, safe and prosperous countries while placing so many others in filthy, disease-ridden, violent and poverty-stricken hellholes?”

Guess the Lord just works in mysterious ways…

18. TransitDave on August 26th, 2017 7:08 pm

Of course, the dirty little secret is that so many Mexicans are in the US largely because they aren’t wanted in Mexico. I mean, it’s so much easier for the Mexican government to encourage people in under-developed areas of Mexico like Chiapas to immigrate to the US than it is to reform itself, and provide greater opportunities at home. Solving the real problems in Mexico is in the long term interests of both nations, but it will never happen as long as the US border is wide open for Mexico to export it’s problems to the US.

19. 57nomad on August 26th, 2017 8:15 pm

There are about 5 million Latino, mostly Mexican, in American K-12 public schools. Taxpayers are strapped for about $15,000.00 per year per student. That means Americans are spending $75,000,000,000.00 per year to educate Mexicans. That money was supposed to go to educating American children. My guess is that this hasn’t gone unnoticed by the Trump administration.

One year of what Mexico swindles off the US will pay for the wall and the wrap party when it’s done. US stands for Uncle Strong, Uncle Sam; not Uncle Sucker. Mexico, pay up or your kids are returning to Mexico where the Mexican government can care for them instead of American taxpayers.

20. Vox Veritas on August 26th, 2017 8:16 pm

“Border apprehensions up” does not mean that border crossings are up.

It only means that the USA now has a President who obeys the law and honors his oath of office.

21. renie on August 26th, 2017 8:52 pm

listen legal American citizens it is way overdue that a strong built wall be built we have haf ass fneces now and have had for years all we are doing is making upgrades of what has been there already so what the beef???? democrats are plain idiots.

22. Robert Bermudez on August 26th, 2017 8:59 pm

It’s all about the cheap labor,American business can’t get enough of it.They just care about the bottom line today, not about this country’s
    future.

23. Jimmy Michaels on August 27th, 2017 6:25 am

Nice touch by Jocelyn Moran with her photo showing blue eyed Mexican child looking through the fence with hope in his eyes. Make me pewk.

This some might find intellectually stimulating.

“After we bombed the vicious enemies of America into the Stone Age in World War II, Japan and Germany became our friends. We gave them back their country, freer and better than it was before, and consequently they have prospered. Mexico on the other hand, our trading friend and partner, has not prospered. On the contrary, they seem to be doing just the opposite, breeding and exporting their impoverished masses to the United States.

This situation begs the question. Why should our next-door neighbor, our friend and ally, not enjoy the same prosperity of our former enemies? Perhaps it is part of a long-term Marxist strategy to overthrow us with an army of irresponsible poor. It is sad to see hard-working decent human beings, down-bred by their government, used as cannon fodder for the future re-conquest of California, New Mexico and Arizona. As the proverbial wolf in sheep’s clothing, the corrupt government of Mexico is no friend to America. One need not be a rocket scientist to perceive that a swarm of illegal invaders will only serve to rule (albeit unconsciously), never realizing that they were programmed through the stresses of poverty to emerge as the tyrant, when no longer in fearful submission to authority. Because there are no morals in politics, and only voting power is relevant, civil war is sure to be the inevitable consequence. Only the truth — and nothing but the truth — will set us all free from a potential Balkan-like massacre and keep people from taking sides and turning on one another in an unnecessary Mexican-American conflict. Illegal aliens need to realize that they are destined to become the “new army” of Marxism and never true American citizens.

Poverty and discontent was the result of social engineering, to the end that the irresponsible and desperate poor shall out-populate, out-vote, and hence, overcome America. President Trump must have the courage to tell illegal aliens the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Deep down, this is not something that the President doesn’t already know. It is not fitting for a man to love in the way of a woman. Likewise, President Trump, as a man, cannot compete with a spoiling, womanly compassion for votes the way seductive Liberals do. Both parties are comprised of homegrown betrayers, each with their own selfish agendas, lying wolves in sheep’s clothing, witting and unwitting allies of totalitarianism, just like your President Enrique Peña Nieto.

By totalitarianism, liberalism and communism, I mean the promotion of licentious freedoms, false liberties of thought, and the exercise of those thoughts upon matters that can never come to any successful conclusion, but only breeds chaos, through which they will rise to power — Marxism.

Philosopher Voltaire said that madness is to hold erroneous perceptions and argue perfectly from them. Collectively, our erroneous perception is that the President of Mexico is our friend. Alas, in reality, he and past Mexican leaders are planting Marxist-style revolutionary “sleepers” in America, such as “awakened” recently in Venezuela. If you can see this, the plan will backfire and you will take back your country, to reap the harvest of prosperity you richly deserve.

Will you live and die in futility for your deceitful politicians? If not, then my dear Latino brothers and sisters, cherish the model that is America; respect our laws, go home, and if you wish, come back the honorable way. Alternatively, while you are in your homeland, you might try to dethrone that despicable tyrant the way our Founding Fathers did for us. Naturally, there will be a little help from your friend, the United States of America. So, go home, no longer deceived — take heart and take your stand there — or forever lose it here.

– Roy Masters

24. MBaxter on August 27th, 2017 4:49 pm

I hadn’t previously heard of this webpage, and now that I came across it, I can’t help but wonder why someone would choose a name for the website that suggests admiration for a people (the Aztecs) who practiced slavery, human sacrifice, and cannibalism.

25. jschwartzny on August 27th, 2017 5:27 pm

apprehension up / crossings down = good