Woman killed on I-8 identified as SDSU student

A 2016 photo from Jasmine Madarang's Facebook profile.

by Will Fritz, News Editor

UPDATED:

A woman who was struck and killed by a car Saturday evening was identified as SDSU student Jasmine Madarang, the San Diego County Medical Examiner’s office confirmed.

Madarang, 20, was reported missing by her friends after she attended the Kappa Alpha fraternity’s tailgate party for Saturday night’s football game against Stanford University at San Diego Stadium.

She was said to have last been seen and texting with her friends between 5:30 and 6 p.m., according to a Facebook post from her aunt.

Just before 8 p.m. Saturday, a woman was reportedly witnessed to have entered westbound Interstate 8 on foot from the north shoulder in an attempt to cross the freeway, according to the California Highway Patrol.

The driver of a vehicle traveling west on I-8 was unable to stop in time, and struck the woman.

Paramedics were called, and the woman, later identified as Madarang, was pronounced dead at the scene, the Medical Examiner’s office said.

Friends offered their condolences Madarang’s aunt updated her Facebook post Monday morning.

“We appreciate your love, support and prayers,” the updated post read. “Please continue to pray for Jasmine and our family.”

Madarang was a junior mechanical engineering major at SDSU, and a 2015 graduate of El Toro High School in Lake Forest, California.

She was a member of the Delta Zelta sorority during her freshman and sophomore years and had been on the Dean’s List every semester, according to a GoFundMe page created by her family.

8 Responses to “Woman killed on I-8 identified as SDSU student”

1. Gayretta McClendon on September 18th, 2017 3:51 pm

This young lady had a heart of pure gold. My children were so lucky to have her as their cousin. Her and my youngest son were born 6 months apart and he absolutely loved and adored Jazzy. He is do broken, we are broken. RIP SWEET, SWEET, JAZZY

2. John on September 19th, 2017 8:18 am

Can we get the Kappa Alpha fraternity suspended and charged for her death? Obviously she must have been intoxicated to think crossing the 8 was a good idea and was likely supplied alcohol by the frat. #BANTHEFRATS

Myrna Reply:

the fraternity had nothing to do with her death. it could have been any club hosting the tailgate and something like this would have happened anyway

Mary Reply:

No certain frat is at fault for a persons death. It is any ones own personal decision to drink copious amounts of alcohol, no one forcefully poured it down her throat. She made the decision to drink. There were about 10 other tailgates of fraternities and others at Qualcomm all handing out alcohol and drinking. She couldve gone to any of these to drink she was just last seen there. There had to have been over 500 students there drinking at any of the tailgates and nothing happened to them. The fraternity should not be charged for her death for it is not their fault but the fault of the woman trying to cross the street and the driver for hitting her. My heart goes out to the family and friends of this girl.

John Reply:

They provided it to someone who is underage. Legally they could be held liable for her death.

3. KMEBC on September 19th, 2017 11:08 am

This young woman was an Engineering student on the Deans List. She had a great future in front of her. This is a huge loss for her family as well as her friends. RIP Jasmine.

4. Mary Perry on September 19th, 2017 11:11 pm

I graduated from
    SDSU back in 2001. I remember that students used to drink on campus, apartments around campus had pool parties every weekend or even during the week, fraternities have always been well known to be out of control, girls making out with guys in the restrooms On campus. I can write and write more on it but the reality here is that SDSU faculty knows all the issues and they have not done a thing about it. This school is well known to be a party school. And that’s why majority of graduates want to come here. What is the Dean of the school gonna do about this??? please wake up and do something about it

5. Joel A Carroll on September 23rd, 2017 1:34 pm

First of all, my heart and thoughts go out to the young woman’s friends and family. This is truly a tragedy.

However, lots of questions must be asked….
    Was she intoxicated? She was underage and I wonder if anyone checks for id at these parties. If she was intoxicated, someone has LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY for giving her alcohol.

More importantly, SDSU students you are responsible for your behavior. We know its easy to get booze and get drunk. If you are under 21, its illegal but can lead to really bad decision making like drunk driving.

And I am SDSU allum and a middle-aged man now. I hope all of you make great decisions with your consumption of booze. I personally want to stay alive and lead our nation for decades to come.