Women’s soccer defeats Utah State, 2-1

Senior forward Aaliyah Utush looks upfield during SDSU's 0-1 loss to UNLV on September 24.

Photo by Weicheng Han

Photo by Weicheng Han

by Matthew Fierst, Staff Writer

San Diego State women’s soccer’s trip to Logan, Utah was a success, as the Aztecs came away with a 2-1 victory over Utah State University for its second Mountain West Conference win of the season on Friday afternoon.

With the victory, the Aztecs improved to 5-6 overall on the season and 2-1 in MWC play. 

It was a tale of two halves for the Aztecs, who attempted just one shot in the first half compared to eight in the second half. SDSU also scored each of its two goals in the second half. 

Defense dominated the first half, as the Aztecs got off one shot off in the first 45 minutes. Similarly, the Aztec defense held the Aggies in check, as Utah State only took two shots, both knocking off the frame.

Both teams went into the locker room with no points. 

As the Scarlet and Black have done all season, they made adjustments in the locker room, coming out more aggressive in the second half. 

SDSU junior midfielder Nikolina Musto sent in a corner kick in the 48th minute that freshman forward Mia Root was able to put in the back of the net for her team-best fifth goal of the season.

Just about five minutes later, what plagued the Aztecs in their 1-0 home loss to University of Nevada, Las Vegas last Sunday benefited the Aztecs in Logan on Friday.

The Aztecs took a 2-0 lead in the 53rd minute after an own goal by the Aggies.  

The Aggies managed to get on the scoreboard in the 83rd minute on a goal by freshman midfielder Ashley Cardozo, making the score 2-1.

It was too little too late, as the Aztecs left Logan with the win.The Aztecs return to action on Sunday, October 1, when they take on Boise State University in Boise, Idaho.