Woman attacked near campus

by Will Fritz, News Editor

A San Diego State student was attacked near campus, university officials reported in a community safety notification Thursday.

At about 10:30 p.m. Sunday, an unidentified female student was walking in the 4900 block of Campanile Drive when she was approached by a man she did not know, officials said.

The woman told police the man threw water in her face before choking her and wrestling her to the ground. She was able fight off the man, who then fled the scene, police said. He was seen leaving in a faded, dark blue car.

The man was described as a Hispanic male, about 6 feet tall and weighing about 180 pounds, with frizzy black hair pulled into a bun and brown eyes, and was wearing a dark long-sleeve shirt and dark pants.

The San Diego Police Department is investigating the incident, and anyone with information was asked to contact SDPD at (619) 531-2000 or Crime Stoppers at (888) 580-8477.

2 Responses to “Woman attacked near campus”

1. Richard Woolverton on October 7th, 2017 2:34 am

There was a man arrested today after a high speed Chase after a del Mar burglary that matches this suspect’s description.

2. Amy on October 7th, 2017 1:23 pm

If you would like to know the real story about this horrific crime instead of the extremely watered-down version that SDSU wants you to believe, please let me know. Actually, there are 2 stories here….the real story about the attack itself, and also how SDSU would rather protect their reputation rather than their students. They knew the details about what happened straight from the victim’s own mouth. They were also told, very clearly and also by the victim, that the thing most important to her was preventing this from happening to someone else by sharing the details about what happened in the alert in order to invoke real fear because only fear will change behaviors or make people really think. Knowing this, they betrayed her and they made up their own story that is not even close to what really happened. The University gives their students a very false sense of security when they don’t share the horrific details of crimes. This is not a police issue. This is the Universiy Administration. I know because I am the victim’s mother and I flew from Boston to be with my daughter and advocate for her by meeting with all those who should have done something but instead did nothing. It’s unacceptable and I won’t stop making noise about this issue until it is properly addressed and new procedures are implemented. No student or parent should tolerate this from a University that claims to have their students’ best interests at heart. They failed my daughter. She took it upon herself to raise awareness by taking it to Facebook and asking people to share her post. 24 hours later, it has been shared over 600 times.