A.S. Update: Campus safety, homecoming, Aztecs Rock Hunger

The Associated Students University Council convenes for its bi-weekly meeting Sept. 27.

SAMANTHA_BONPENSIERO

SAMANTHA_BONPENSIERO

by Diana Guevarra, Staff Writer

The Associate Students University Council gathered at its bi-weekly meeting Oct. 5 to discuss homecoming week, campus safety and Aztecs Rock Hunger updates.

SDSU’s homecoming football game against Fresno State on Oct. 21 will follow a week of events for students, alumni and faculty to promote school pride.

“Clash for the Can” is the theme of this year’s homecoming week, which represents the long standing football rivalry between the schools.
The Greek Life Activities Board will be hosting Dodge for a Cause, a charity dodgeball event, at the Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union, Oct. 17 from 4p.m to 7p.m

The free event encourages teams of students, alumni and faculty to sign up and compete in the tournament.

According to the university council, teams of six to eight  people are necessary to participate.

Team participants receive a complimentary shirt for competing at the event.

A list of additional homecoming week events can be located at SDSU’s homecoming website.

Chris Thomas, vice president of university affairs, discussed recently-released statistics showing a  decrease in crime on campus over the past few years on campus.

Crime has dropped in several categories between 2014 and 2016, according to the statistics.

Despite the drop, Thomas encouraged students to utilize resources provided by university police, including crime prevention programs and personal escorts.

“Reach out to the campus safety escorts, they are there to make sure you get home safely,” Thomas said.

He said even outside of safety escort hours, regular campus police officers can give the same services.

“If you feel unsafe going home, you’re able to call university police and get a police officer to come pick you up and take you home,” he said.

The Aztecs Rock Hunger campaign, SDSU’s annual food drive, is off to a good start, Willis said.

Willis encouraged A.S. members to keep pushing for further involvement and donations.
Students were asked to contribute by donating cans at red bins throughout campus, at Aztec Proud events and at campus stores.

The last day to donate for Aztecs Rock Hunger is Oct. 22.