Get tough with ‘Sucker Punch’

Courtesy of  Warner Bros. Pictures
Courtesy of Warner Bros. Pictures

“Sucker Punch” is not a very good movie. At best, it’s more like a never-ending music video, complete with robot samurai, dragons and, of course, scantily clad women hauling dangerous weapons.

So it should come as no surprise that the “Sucker Punch Original Motion Picture Soundtrack” is nothing short of mind-blowing.

It’s a clever mix of rock, gothic industrial and fast-paced electronica. Tracks such as Bjork’s “Army of Me” and Skunk Anansie’s “Search and Destroy” are fighter tracks, perfect for an epic battle in front of a Japanese temple, or simply an afternoon of intense cardio at the ARC.

Emiliana Torrini’s cover of Jefferson Airplane’s “White Rabbit” is haunting and sensual, while Queen’s mashup of “I Want It All / We Will Rock You,” ft. rap artist Armageddon, is just plain fun.

Emily Browning, who plays lead character Babydoll in the film, is featured on three album tracks. As a singer, she is far more dynamic and interesting than her character was. Her vocal styles are reminiscent of Nouvelle Vague; innocent yet pained.

Her cover version of the Eurythmics’ “Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)” is by far her strongest song; a haunting tale of lost dreams and impending hopelessness. It sets a mood that’s difficult to shake off.

She may not have the best pipes, but she knows how to use what she has.

For anyone who saw the movie and was disappointed, be sure to check out the soundtrack. Unlike the film itself, the album definitely delivers.

Get tough with ‘Sucker Punch’