Band Profile: Arcade Fire

Courtesy of Anton Corbijn
Courtesy of Anton Corbijn

After the 53rd Grammy Awards, plenty of people were left wondering, “Who the hell is Arcade Fire?” But after listening to its third studio album “The Suburbs,” it is easily apparent that the 10-year-old band definitely deserved the award. This album covers alternative, pop, rock, blues, soul and funk in 16 songs.

Kicking it in gear, “The Suburbs”  is reminiscent of a ‘60s piano bar tune, instantly infectious, getting bodies moving as soon as it switches on. Arcade Fire slows the pace with “Half Light I,” massaging the aural sense with whimsical, draping vocals and a thick symphony of backing instrumentals. “Half Light II (No Celebration)” ups the ante on its predecessor, breaking through a layer of harmonies with a harsh electric guitar riff and thumping drums. Continuing with a newfound raw attitude, “Month of May” takes listeners down Route 66 in a Mustang wearing your favorite pair of vintage Ray Bans. Fast strumming and drumming mixed in with urgent and anxious vocals instantly create the backdrop for something out of “Pulp Fiction.”

Soon, “We Used to Wait” kindly interrupts with a vivid piano chord that forms the ground for a changing landscape of guitar pulls, intermittent drum bashes and timid vocals. After a full listen through, the listener finds themselves back at the beginning with “The Suburbs (Continued).” This time a much more somber voice offers itself in place of the once dominantly pounding vocals, but quickly becomes the icing of the best damn chocolate walnut brownies ever tasted.

Band Profile: Arcade Fire