Florence & The Machines rock

Courtesy of florenceandthemachine.net
Courtesy of florenceandthemachine.net

Florence Welch is the charismatic flame-headed front-woman of Florence and The Machine, one of the most innovative contemporary bands around. The band’s debut and only album to date, “Lungs,” was released in July 2009 but didn’t reach commercial success in the United States until late last year. This is a massive shame as “Lungs” is completely life changing.

“Dog Days are Over” is the perfect song to chuck on at the start of a road trip or the end of finals week. It is impossible to listen to this song without pulling an awkward dance move while walking around campus. “Drumming Song” will drill a hole in the listener’s head and plant its lyrics for days. Ceaseless chanting of “There’s a drumming noise inside my head / that starts when you’re around” is completely inescapable. “Cosmic Love” is a magical dichotomous blend of both the end of a relationship and the start of one. On one hand there is; “A falling star fell from your heart and landed in my eyes,” and on the other; “The stars, the moon, they have all been blown out / you left me in the dark.”

However, the album ends with an exploding firework of a song: “You’ve Got the Love.” Welch sings about throwing her hands in the air, eating her mate for sustenance and simply having the love to see her through. A choral anthem forms the backdrop for this uplifting ballad that wraps “Lungs” in a perfect package of an album.

Florence & The Machines rock