A new twist on classic cures for a hangover

MCT Campus

By Sydnee Brooker, Staff Writer

Basic hangover cures are obvious — drink plenty of water, eat greasy food, take a pain reliever or two and get some rest. But what else can the 21 and older crowd do if this same old sequence just doesn’t cut it anymore? The following is a list of interesting alternatives to classic cures.

Put some coco in that water

According to The Huffington Post, coconut water is naturally rich in electrolytes, has almost twice the amount of potassium as bananas, helps regulate blood pressure and is extremely hydrating. Southeast Asians figured out the benefits of this liquid gold centuries ago; maybe Americans will be next.

Mother’s little helper

Instead of Aspirin or Tylenol, which only numb discomfort, try Chaser hangover pills. Take two with the first drink of the night and two more after six drinks. According to doublechaser.com, these pills contain processed calcium carbonate and charcoal that attract and absorb the toxins in alcohol that make beer pong champions not want to wake up in the morning.

Just stomach it

Literally — eat some stomach, otherwise known as menudo. This stew of sorts was originated in Sonora, Mexico during the Mexican wars. The people of the town had to use most of their cattle meat to make jerky for soldiers and do with what was left. With some corn, chili and love, it turns out cow innards don’t taste half bad and they’re a sure hangover cure.

C yourself in the morning

Instead of a 10 a.m. beer, try a mimosa — a champagne and orange juice cocktail. Mimosas are healthier because the orange juice provides natural sugar and vitamin C, which replenishes sleepy bodies and speeds up the metabolism of alcohol through the liver.

Be beached

Getting rest is almost the only thing drunken night owls may be capable of the next morning. However, don’t just hide inside. Take advantage of San Diego living and grab a beach towel, get some vitamin D and fresh air; it’s better than sitting inside glued to “Bad Girls Club” or “Jersey Shore.”