Lecturer who was found to have discriminated against white student no longer teaching this semester

Andrew Dyer
American Indian Studies Lecturer Oscar “Ozzie” Monge at an Associated Students vote on a resolution to retire the Aztec mascot and moniker in April 2017. Monge has been outspoken in favor of ending the mascot.

The professor who was recently found to have discriminated against a student because of her race by the California Department of Justice will no longer be teaching classes this semester.

Oscar “Ozzie” Monge, an American Indian Studies lecturer, had been scheduled as the instructor for at least three sections of AMIND 120 as recently as Monday. By Wednesday, he had been replaced.

The results of that investigation were published by The Daily Aztec on Jan. 5.

“He will not be teaching any classes this semester,” SDSU spokesperson Jill Esterbrooks said. She would not comment on whether or not the move was an official suspension.

Recent graduate Crystal Sudano, the student who initially alleged Monge was discriminating against her, said she was happy at the news.

“I’m glad the school has done the right thing,” she said.

According to the investigation report, Monge sent multiple “offensive” Facebook messages to Sudano while she was in his class during the spring 2017 semester.

In one message, he criticized her for wearing a bandana and her hair in braids to a Native American Student Alliance event, suggesting it was cultural appropriation.

In another, he criticized SDSU’s Associated Students for “how damned white it is.”

“All in all, Monge uses ‘white’ whenever he wishes to explain someone who has done something wrong, or bad,” the investigation report concluded.

It’s uncertain if Monge will eventually be allowed to return to campus.

“It’s still an ongoing investigation, and there is an appeals process,” Esterbrooks said.

Monge, citing confidentiality requirements, declined to comment for this story.

Will Fritz, Editor in Chief
Will Fritz is the editor in chief of The Daily Aztec for the 2018-19 academic year. A fourth-year journalism major, he's a weekend breaking news reporter for City News Service, an editorial intern at Voice of San Diego and president of SDSU's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Follow him on Twitter at @fritzed_, and contact him directly at (619) 594-4190 or editor@thedailyaztec.com.
Andrew Dyer, Editor-in-chief
Andrew is a fourth-year journalism major and sociology minor. Andrew transferred to San Diego State in 2016 after receiving his associate's degree in journalism from Southwestern College in Chula Vista. At SWC, Andrew was the assistant arts and assistant news editor of the Southwestern Sun. Andrew began college in 2014 after more than 10 years in the U.S. Navy to pursue a career in journalism.