JAM: Suede returns to U.S. with Coachella Performance

Trent, Blogger for J.A.M.

If you missed Coachella because you didn’t feel like paying $281 for tickets–plus $29 in fees and $10 for shipping–to sit in 100-degree temperature in the middle of nowhere for three days, then you probably missed the triumphant return of one of my favorite bands of all time, Suede. And if you’ve never heard of this great of greats, don’t worry about it. You’re probably just an American.

Suede, a guitar-driven rock band from London, was one of the most successful English bands of the 1990s. Heavily influenced by glam rock and The Smiths, Suede heralded in the greatest musical era of all time, ‘90s Britpop. Featuring the falsetto singing of Brett Anderson–who was voted Coachella’s Best 2nd Day Front Man by Spin Magazine–and the masterful guitar work of original guitarist Bernard Butler, Suede’s 1993 self-titled album became England’s fastest selling debut ever at the time. Suede’s debut album was dark, depressing and strikingly different from the Grunge rock scene in the U.S. Lyrically, songs like “So Young,” “Pantomime Horse,” and “Sleeping Pills” cover themes from drug abuse to social ostracization.

Watch Suede’s performance at Coachella 2011

Unfortunately, Suede never found commercial success in the U.S. and was forced to change their name to The London Suede due to copyright infringement. While Suede’s next two release “Dog Man Star” and the much poppier “Coming Up” were commercial and critical successes, the band’s legacy was eventually overshadowed by competing Britpop acts Oasis and Blur and broke up in 2003.

Luckily, you have another chance to enjoy this great band’s music. Following its Coachella performance–the band’s first U.S. show in nearly 15 years–Suede has released its recent “Best Of” album and it’s available on iTunes. The two-disk compilation leans heavily on Suede’s first three releases, the best of its career in my opinion. The band hasn’t released an album since 1999.