The Lime raises the bar with tequila variety

This secluded bar offers more than 100 types of tequila served alone or blended with a selection of fresh fruits, Courtesy of  The Lime
This secluded bar offers more than 100 types of tequila served alone or blended with a selection of fresh fruits, Courtesy of The Lime

In the Gaslamp Quarter of downtown San Diego, there are a slew of bars and restaurants to begin a night out. Each one offers the same drinks, atmosphere and experience. On Fifth Avenue, a small bar is sandwiched between boutiques and restaurants that, if not for the exciting splash of its bright green exterior, could simply be passed by.

Those who keep their eyes open will discover The Lime, San Diego’s most intimate and incredibly hip tequila bar. Open every day at 5 p.m., this bar is a perfect starting point for any exciting night downtown.

Upon entering The Lime, patrons find themselves surrounded by brightly painted walls. Tequila bottles clutter the shelves in an organized mess to form the perfectly decorated bar. Oversized wrought iron mirrors provide the illusion of making this petite, two-story space larger.

While browsing The Lime’s cocktail menu, guests may be overwhelmed at the amount and types of tequila to choose from. Not only are there more than 100 types of tequila available for the tasting, but oftentimes people will find they haven’t heard of most of them.

Instead of choosing the ubiquitous Patron or playing “pin the tail on the bottle,” take advantage of The Lime’s staff. The intimidating list of libations is no match for their expert tequila knowledge. After just a couple of questions, each bar hopper will undoubtedly be left with the perfect shot of tequila.

Try Milagro for a spice. Complex with earth tones? Go for a Tres Mujeres. Clean with no burn? Fortaleza.

Looking to sip instead of shoot? Have one of these delicious tequilas poured, shaken or blended into any of The Lime’s famous margaritas.

Every house margarita is made with the bar’s house Silver tequila and, of course, freshly squeezed limes. The aptly named “Perfect” margarita is one of the bar’s most popular choices and for good reason. The calculated mix of tequila, Grand Monarch Orange Liqueur, sweet and sour mix and orange juice on the rocks is, well, perfect.

Those who opt for a frozen cocktail will not be disappointed either. Made with house tequila and fresh fruit, guests can choose from mango, peach, pineapple, passion fruit and countless other flavors.

Though The Lime’s specialty drinks may cost more than the average dive bar wells, they are worth the extra cash. Drinkers also get a break during happy hour from 5 to 7 p.m. on weekdays with half price drinks.

These slightly more expensive drinks should not be off-putting to college students. The bartenders add more than a healthy dose of alcohol to each drink. While one may be enough, patrons will often find themselves unable to withhold from trying another.

The Lime’s menu offers more than downtown’s most extensive tequila list. A selection of gourmet pizzas is available for those looking for a bite before they hit the town. From the White Stone Pizza with garlic, olive oil, mozzarella, ricotta, shaved Grana oregano and basil to the Vegetarian with mushrooms, roasted red peppers, onions, Calimata olives and artichoke hearts, these pizzas are huge and meant to be shared.

With everything The Lime’s menu and atmosphere has to offer, this bar will have people leaving slightly unsteady and blissfully satiated.