Students share their top picks for 420 flicks

Let he who is without green, choke first, until stoned.

It’s 420, time to take the medicine. Be it burned greens, yummy confections or techy vapor trails, one still needs the right activity for these high times. Some like the nature-toke. Others like to get creative. However, many space cowboys and gals just want to veg out on flicks that understand their particular condition. Movies about smokers smoking, trippers tripping or just damn funny goodness have become a big part of cannabis culture.

The genre has grown tremendously since Cheech and Chong’s catalyzing classic “Up in Smoke.” The decision of what to watch is almost as hard as deciding what to smoke — especially when suddenly, everything looks so good “maaan.”

Have no fear, this is San Diego State’s student guide to the most dope movies to watch on the highest of all high holidays. So, grab those buds, assorted munchies and get comfy. Here is what some SDSU students had to say about the best movies to blaze through on 420:

Pineapple Express

It’s almost a shame to smoke it. It’s like killing a unicorn… with, like, a bomb.” – Saul Silver

This film was the common denominator that made it on to everybody’s list. Smokers and nonsmokers alike were at least familiar with this title. It’s a movie that is loved regardless of affinity for pot. There’s just something about a buddy flick where the stakes are high and the laughs are cheap.

“I don’t know, it’s just like a classic movie and really funny” business freshman Nate Auerbach said. “It’s just interesting how the whole Pineapple Express strain stemmed from that movie and now it so big.”

Superbad

McLovin? Were you violating that young girl? Were you violating her with your penis?” – Officer Slater

This coming of age “Porkies” style comedy came in as the second most mentioned film. In this film, these high school guys go through so much for the unattainable, just to find out they had the goods all along.

The Night Before

You don’t steal on Christmas! That’s not right! … She Home Aloned me!” -Chris

This film can do double duty, serving as a 420 staple or a Christmas favorite. Magical trees and some other substances send three lifelong buddies on one last raunchy Christmas Eve before babies, careers and coming to grips with commitment issues take hold of their lives. Seth Rogen movies seem to be a trend in this genre.

“Basically, any movie with Seth Rogen would be good for 420,” undeclared freshman Gian Nicholas said.

Mac and Devin Go to High School

“Some people go to high school. Others go to school high.” – Mac

Snoop Dogg and Wiz Khalifa run through as many stoned in school clichés possible in this 80-minute romp about learning the importance of saying “so what?”  

“They have the joint talking to you throughout the whole movie,” Auerbach said.

Dazed and Confused

“Say, man, you got a joint?” “No, Not on me, man.” “It’d be a lot cooler if you did.” – Wooderson & Mitch

This high school slice of life comedy is a film that’s more interesting because of who’s in it, than what it is about. Ben Affleck, Parker Posey, Matthew McConaughey and Milla Jovovich were unknown actors at this time. There are also some of the coolest lines ever in this flick like McConaughey’s “alright, alright, alright.”

“I loved Dazed and Confused,” liberal studies freshman Mary Rydquist said. “That’s the first one that came to mind for me.”

However not all the movies on the list were comedies. Some might not be for the faint of heart or those not ready to go weird places in high states.

Donnie Darko

What’s the point of living if every living creature dies alone?” -Donnie Darko

This time traveling, tragic hero flick is set in the 1980s where metaphysics and schizophrenia take a misunderstood teen on a truly trippy ride.

“Yeah, that is definitely a trippy flick,” business senior Matthew Murray said.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

“Constantly talking isn’t necessarily communicating” – Joel Barish

Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet endure self-induced amnesia and heartbreak in this film. Weed might be the closest thing to purposefully forgetting your ex, until somebody figures out how to make this movie real.     

Here are some surprising non-listers that should be peeped anyway because what stoner movie list is complete without them? Millennials and Gen-Z-ers can’t be expected to know everything, so here’s a little extra help and some movies to add to that list for 420:

Friday, Next Friday, and Friday After Next

And you know this, Maan– Smokey

Super High Me

This is the best part of the day, when I get to be fat, on the bed, with my quart of Coke.”

Dude, Where’s My Car?

“I don’t want to go down in history as the guy who destroyed the universe!” -Jesse  

How High

“I figure I study high, take the test high, get high scores.” -Jamal King

Half Baked

F— you…f— you…you’re cool…and f— you, I’m out.”