Explore the variety of campus housing

Chelsea Massey / Staff Photographer
Chelsea Massey / Staff Photographer

As the school year comes to a close, students are faced with choosing living arrangements for the fall semester. Those who have not yet finalized their decision need to act fast, as housing near campus is rapidly approaching capacity. Apartments close to campus and residence halls are still available for those interested in the convenience of walking to class next year.

The plethora of housing within a one-mile radius of San Diego State may be surprising to even the most seasoned apartment hunter. Walking a few feet off campus, one can see the various residence halls across the bridge accompanied by numerous apartment complexes on Montezuma Road. The choices may seem overwhelming, but the large number of accommodations ensures students can find a place that fits their expectations and budget.

The Residence Halls

While the residence halls are often viewed as a freshman experience, a few are aimed to suit the needs of sophomores, transfers, upperclassmen and graduate students. The University Towers on Montezuma Road offers mini-suite accommodations for returning and transfer students. Unlike particular units that close during breaks, U.T. offers housing during vacations for no extra cost. Living in U.T. is also cost effective when taken into account the free furniture, cable, Internet and utility bills each month. U.T.’s “Sidewalk Scene” gives prospective residents an extra incentive as it now offers diverse cuisine Monday through Friday, with exception to Thursday, for dinner that can be bought with or without a meal plan.

Another option for students looking to reap the benefits of SDSU housing without living in a conventional residence hall is the Villa Alvarado Apartments. The apartments are university-owned and offer many of the same benefits as the residence halls, such as live-in staff, wireless Internet and cable services at no additional cost. However, the cost of utilities are shared and divided monthly by each roommate.

Aztec Corner

The pink Aztec Corner apartments that stretch for an entire block on Montezuma Road are part of one of the largest apartment complexes in the College Area. Aztec Corner is owned by American Campus Communities, the nation’s premier owner and manager of luxury, academically oriented student housing. Each unit offers the option of being furnished, as well as the choice of a single or double room. Its proximity to campus and individual leases make Aztec Corner appealing to many students, as well as its available garage parking and on-site managers. A two-bedroom, two-bathroom double unit will cost each tenant $589 per month including water, sewer, trash, cable TV and Internet. The price, flexibility and proximity to campus make Aztec Corner a popular choice but does not include perks such as a pool or community center.

College Campanile Apartments

While College Campanile Apartments may fade in contrast to its bright pink Aztec Corner neighbors across the street, Campanile offers students basic but large apartments from one to three bedrooms. The reasonable price, unique exterior design and bright blue pool add to the appeal of the Campanile apartments. The only units available for next semester are single bedrooms with one or 1.5 bathrooms.

The Granada on Hardy

The recently developed housing project, The Granada on Hardy, has caused many heads to turn as construction rapidly continues. Located across the street from Fraternity Row, the LEED-registered community touts itself as “the smart choice” for students. Although the apartments come with a hefty price tag of as much as $1,200 per occupant without option of a double room, the contemporary apartments will include all new furniture, ENERGY STAR appliances, a washer and dryer and a 46-inch plasma TV in each unit. In addition, monthly rent includes cable, Internet and all utilities. Like the majority of housing close to campus, the units are quickly filling up. For next semester, only four-bedroom units and random roommate pairing are still available.

Explore the variety of campus housing