Letter to the editor: 5-9-11

On May 2 on my way to class, I ran into a classmate. I asked her if she heard the good news (the death of Osama bin Laden).

“Oh, that. I heard. I thought you were going to say class was cancelled or something.”

Is this the reaction to a major event in our lives? This manhunt has been going on for almost 10 years, and we got him! I mean, we should all be skipping down the walkways singing. But nothing! I went to ask Associated Students why they are not doing anything. They stated that it’s not their job, and that they need to stay neutral on subjects like this. They suggested that I go to student organizations, and ask them this question. Lastly, in the student run newspaper there was a short piece on the subject. I have seen longer obituaries for a Joe Shmoe than the piece that was run on May 3. When talking to the newspaper they said how this is a paper about campus issues, and the students.

This is a major game changer in the world. Many questions are being asked. New information is being put out every hour. And they cannot even give up the front page for it. I myself am from a military family.

My cousin just got back from serving over in Afghanistan the other month, and I have another cousin in Germany right now. I know that I am not the only person on campus that has family and friends in the military. Also we need to remember the men and women in the military that are going to school right now. This is a great achievement for them and the Navy Seals who were performing this mission. None of us could be doing what we’re doing right now if it was not for them. The paper could not even run that in the short piece that they ran.

This major event is leading the USA and the world to new questions. Where do we go from here? Do we keep the infrastructure that was made in order to get this lunatic? What part did Pakistan play in his capture? Did they know that he was there? Who will take his place as a leader and holy symbol to rally around? Or will this give them more power to gain more people? Lately it is said that he was unarmed, is this true? Is this the end of Al Qaeda, or will there be retaliation against us? Where will they strike? Many people are going to ground zero for many reasons. I ask, what are others thoughts on this? Are you happy? Did you want a trial, or is “shoot on sight” good enough for you?

As one can see there are many questions that this event leads to, and in many different directions. Some of this will be important for months ahead as we move into elections. Yes, love it or not, in less than 24 hours many analyses had already started down that road. But with questions of security infrastructure, and the uprising over in the Middle East, this event will change the game. And we as young voters need to be aware of what is going on when we elect the next president and congressmen of our country.

Lastly I leave you with a thank you to all the troops that helped make this happen, and for allowing me to study my passion of Biology.

Lowry O. Pierich JR

Letter to the editor: 5-9-11