Senior Farewell: Tristi Rodriguez

Kelly Smiley

Who would have thought that the little Mexican girl from Bakersfield would be graduating in a few days with a bachelor’s degree in journalism? I don’t know where the time went, but I am so grateful for the journey.

Over the past couple of years, I got the chance to cover sports for The Daily Aztec. Joining the DA was the best decision I made not only because it allowed me to meet some of my best friends, but because it reinforced my love and passion for journalism.

The National Association of Hispanic Journalists was also a big part of my experience at SDSU. Being a part of an organization where people looked like me for once was special. As a proud Latina, it upsets me that there aren’t many of us in the sports media industry. That is something I plan to change.

My family is everything to me. To my four brothers, thank you guys for always having my back no matter what. Thank you for never taking it easy on me when we were kids, because that has helped me grow into a strong young lady. Gabe, thank you for being the best role model and guiding me along the way. To Natalia and Layth, I hope your tía is making you proud. I love watching you two grow.

To my mom and dad, thank you for sacrificing so much for me and the boys. Dad, no matter how old I get, I will always be your little girl. Mom, you already know what it is. You are my best friend and number one fan. Te amo para siempre y por siempre serás mi bebé.

Thank you Sarah for being my best friend at State. I appreciate your loyalty more than you know. Thank you athletes and coaches for never pulling a Russell Westbrook on me and making every interview experience amazing.

And thank you to everyone else who has supported me over the years. You know who you are.

“They’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists” — well Mr. Trump, they are also graduating college.

Class of ‘19, we did it! A todos mis Latinos, arriba! Los adelantamos, educación es la llave. Sí podemos.

Tristi Rodriguez, Staff Writer
Tristi is a media studies major pursuing a career in sports journalism. She is a huge Dwyane Wade fan. Tristi would one day like to work as a reporter covering the NBA.
Kelly Smiley, Photo Editor
Senior Farewell: Tristi Rodriguez