San Diego destinations just a trolley stop away

Emily Burgess
Downtown San Diego enjoyed a cloudy sunset which is seen from this overhead angle viewing part of the city, accessible from the trolley.

Between seemingly endless homework, going to classes, and the stress of “cabin fever,” it’s important to take some time to explore San Diego.

Not every student is lucky enough to have their own car on campus. Fortunately, San Diego State University has one of the trolley stops. It is located between Adam’s Humanities, the Aztec Student Union and Plant Power.

The underground MTS trolley stop gives students access to attractions such as Balboa Park, Little Italy and the Gaslamp Quarter.

Balboa Park is one of San Diego’s most popular attractions. The park is home to 17 museums, 19 gardens, 13 attractions and more. To get there, take the Sycuan Green Line and get off at the Santa Fe Depot spot. From there, the park is either an uphill trek or a quick bus ride away.

The park is currently hosting Food Truck Fridays until the end of September. According to the event website, these events will give the public unique opportunities to sample a diverse selection of gourmet food trucks. Some of the vendors include Marcel’s Belgian Waffles and Chameleon Cuisine.

Old Town is another popular tourist spot in San Diego. The Green Line stops at the edge of the historic site, and the attractions are just a short walk away. From the Whaley House to Cafe Coyote, there are many options for visitors to choose from.

History buffs can explore the Mormom Battalion Historic site, the State Historic Park and the Cygnet Theatre.

Shopaholics will feel right at home around Old Town’s boutiques. There are over 30 restaurants and food options ranging from authentic Mexican food to Cold Stone. Don’t forget your Lactaid!

Students and family alike can explore Little Italy’s 48 blocks of restaurants, pubs, art galleries and shops. The Green Line stops at Waterfront Park, and the heart of Little Italy is a 10 minute walk away.

Since the 1920s, Little Italy has been home to a vibrant Italian-American community sharing their stories and success with everyone. Several events, including the San Diego Padres Italian Heritage Night, take place in the district.

If those shops aren’t enough, Fashion Valley mall offers more than 200 stores ranging from Forever 21 to Gucci, and The LEGO Store to Rolex. It also has eateries, restaurants and an AMC theatre. The Green Line’s Fashion Valley stop presents a grand aerial view of the entire mall.

The Gaslamp Quarter in downtown San Diego is a sneak peak into the hustle and bustle of post-graduation life. Lyfts and Ubers are numerous, and are handy for navigating through the busy streets after your long trolley ride on the Sycuan Green Line.

The restaurants in the Gaslamp Quarter are generally on the fancier, three-dollar-sign side of entertaining. Every now and then, the urge to dress up for a night on the town creeps up, and the Gaslamp Quarter is the perfect place to show off.

On the more casual side, there is the Mission Valley Center stop, accessible by the Sycuan Green Line. People can reach the Westfield Mission Valley Mall, a Target, a Pei Wei and more with a short walk from the trolley stop.

.There are countless more attractions accessible by trolley on the Orange and UC San Diego Blue lines. From the Courthouse to San Ysidro, Santee to Seaport Village, the MTS trolley system gives students access to a myriad of tourist spots and everyday necessities.

Juniper Perkins is a sophomore studying journalism with an emphasis in media studies.

Juniper Perkins, Senior Staff Writer
Juniper Perkins (they/them/theirs) is a third-year journalism student with an emphasis in media studies and a minor in creative editing and publishing. In addition to their work at The Daily Aztec, they're also Secretary of SDSU's chapter of Society of Professional Journalists. Their other passions include creative writing, watercolor painting and Dungeons and Dragons. You can follow them on Twitter @juniperkins.
Emily Burgess
Emily Burgess, Graphics Editor
Emily is a junior at San Diego State. She is pursuing a degree in graphic design with a double minor in marketing and interdisciplinary studies.