Nibbling to noshing for starving neurons

MCT Campus
MCT Campus

With finals beginning, San Diego State is about to trade full-time bros for part time brainiacs. Too preoccupied with doing well on exams, students may find themselves sacrificing parties, sleep and sometimes meals. These healthy and delicious food items will keep stomachs full and brains alert, ready for test time.

Eggs
Sitting close to the top of the brain food chain is the incredible edible egg. The National Academy of Sciences recognized “choline,” a nutrient found in eggs, to play a role in the development of brain motor functioning and memory. Studies have revealed babies in the womb have increased memory function and capacity if their mothers received choline supplements.

The possibilities for an egg dish are only limited by the imagination. A cheddar scramble with tomatoes, onions and whole wheat toast provides a filling start to the morning. Dice ham into an omelet for a protein-packed breakfast. Being creative with eggs can open up a world of neuron-stimulating meals.

Avocados
For increased oxygen and blood flow to the brain, snack on some avocados. The nutrients from this California delicacy have been proven to lower blood pressure, which is linked to an increase in cognitive abilities and IQ.
For a quick snack, spread some avocado onto pita bread, or dip chips into homemade guacamole. To maximize brain function capabilities, top a monterey jack omelet with avocado slices.

Spinach
This leafy green is Popeye’s favorite for a reason. Spinach keeps folic acid levels in the body high. Low levels have been linked to memory decline, certainly not conducive for final exams. Eating spinach three times a week as a brain food has been recommended by neurologists and is also linked to preventing dementia in women.

Fresh vegetables with a piece of chopped grilled chicken breast, combined with a hearty helping of spinach and topped with a low-fat vinaigrette makes a delicious and easy lunchtime feast too.

Coffee
Despite the unhealthy reputation coffee has somehow earned throughout the years, freshly ground, roasted coffee beans are proven to be healthy. Java is packed with rich antioxidants, amino acids, vitamins and minerals. As a brain food, regular consumption of coffee has actually proven to reduce the risk of mental decline and diseases such as dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.

This popular drink among college students has been found to be the number one source of antioxidants in the average American diet. While this unfortunately leaves something to be said for the way many Americans consume nutritious foods, sleep-deprived students will be happy to learn grabbing that cup of joe on the way to class is good for the brain and keeps them from falling asleep mid-exam.

While brain food can help during finals, it is important not to forget hydration. Drinking at least 80 ounces of water a day reduces stress hormones, something many college student could benefit from during finals. Green tea also relaxes the brain and triggers mental alertness, a necessity for test taking.

These tips, as well as eight hours of sleep each night, make for a happy, healthy brain, ready to take on any final.