PASS THE POPCORN: Popular children’s franchise matures with December’s ‘Voyage’

Courtesy of EPK

By Carmen Splane, Staff Contributor

The third installment of the family friendly franchise treads on familiar ground in yet another mystifying tale of fantasy and wonder. “The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader” seems less violent than the second installment but possibly just as dark. The Pevensie children are growing older and maturing quickly, and so is the storyline.

“Treader” finds the siblings separated during the onslaught of World War II. Susan (Anna Popplewell) is in the U.S. with her mom and dad while Peter (William Moseley) is busy preparing for his university entrance exams. Lucy (Georgie Henley) and Edmund (Skandar Keynes) are stuck in Cambridge, England pining for Narnia with their annoying brat of a cousin, Eustace (Will Poulter). Much to the chagrin of Eustace, the children are transported to Narnia when a painting of the sea in Lucy’s room suddenly comes to life.

Struggling and gasping for air, the children are rescued by King Caspian (Ben Barnes) and board the Dawn Treader. Edmund and Lucy are ecstatic to finally return to Narnia, they reunite with old friends and happily resume their roles as prince

and princess, respectively. Aching for adventure and looking for any excuse not to return to their humdrum lives, Edmund and Lucy readily join King Caspian in his quest to fulfill a promise he made to Aslan. The travelers must set out on a mission to find the seven swords of the seven lords and return them to Aslan’s table.

Along their journeys, they encounter the usual Narnia set of mythical creatures, magic spells and bloodthirsty villains, much like the previous films. The only difference is in this installment, the characters have to defeat the darkness within themselves before they can break the spell of the Dark Island, the dwelling place of the seventh and final sword.

Each character must confront their inner demons to fulfill the mission of the seven swords, and the characters and the storyline are better because of it. The children of Narnia will not be children for much longer, and if the rest of the franchise follows suit, adult themes will become the norm.

Movie: The Chronicles of Narnia:

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Directed by: Micheal Apted

Release Date: Dec. 10