Sanders wins California Democratic primary, local races still too close to call

Alexa Oslowski
Supporters of Congressional candidate Ammar Campa-Najjar cheer on as candidates make their way around the media round robbin.

UPDATE (March 4, 9:45 a.m.): The races to become San Diego’s next mayor and representative from the 53rd Congressional District are still too close to call Wednesday morning.

With 100% of precincts reporting, Todd Gloria, a state assemblymember vying to replace outgoing Mayor Kevin Faulconer, will advance to the November general election.

It is still unclear, however, who his opponent will be.

Second and third place are held by two councilmembers, Scott Sherman and Barbara Bry, who are separated by a little more than 3,000 votes — a difference that could still be swayed by mail-in ballots and provisional votes still yet to be counted and reported by the San Diego County Registrar of Voters.

Bry currently trails Sherman by 1.56%.

And in the 53rd district, where San Diego State and many of its students reside, the race for second place is also narrow, albeit by a larger margin.

With 100% of precincts reporting Wednesday morning, it appears whoever replaces retiring Rep. Susan Davis in the 53rd district is also a Democrat.

Sara Jacobs and San Diego Council President Georgette Gomez currently hold the top two spots in the highly contested district.

Gomez leads Republican Chris Stoddard by more than 5,000 votes, or 4.56%.

With an undetermined number of mail-in ballots and provisional voters still outstanding, both races remain too close to call.

The registrar of voters has until April 2 to certify the results of the election.

ORIGINAL STORY: 

As polls closed in San Diego and across California on Super Tuesday, a number of local races remained too close to call.

Two local primaries — the race for the mayoral office and the 53rd Congressional District seat — featured open races. With San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer termed out of office and Representative Susan Davis retiring from Congress after serving for two decades, both contests saw numerous candidates from both parties enter the race.

The San Diego Mayoral race featured three Democrats: two elected officials, Assemblymember Todd Gloria and Councilmember Barbara Bry, and community activist Tasha Williamson. The trio of Democrats faced off against Republican Councilmember Scott Sherman.

Early results show Gloria with a commanding lead — and a tight race for second place between Sherman and Bry.

Sherman is vying for a spot on the Nov. 3 ballot to prevent two Democrats from advancing to the general election, which would deny Republicans a chance to hold the office.

Although each candidate has a political party preference, all citywide offices are nonpartisan per California law.

In the 53rd Congressional race, Democrat Susan Davis is retiring after representing San Diego in Congress for two decades.

The contest to fill Davis’ seat is also too close to call. Two Democrats — Sara Jacobs and San Diego Council President Georgette Gomez — are first and second place, with Republican Chris Stoddard in a close third.

When polls closed at 8 p.m., the Associated Press called the California Democratic Primary race for Senator Bernie Sanders. He currently holds a nearly 10-digit lead over Vice President Joe Biden, with Mayor Michael Bloomberg and Senator Elizabeth Warren trailing, with 40% of precincts reporting statewide.

Only a fraction of ballots have been counted in San Diego.

Follow The Daily Aztec on Twitter for live updates as more precincts are reported.

The original story was updated on March 3 at 11:38 p.m. and 11:59 p.m. with additional election results.

Michael Cline, Assistant News Editor
Michael Cline is a second-year graduate student in the Rhetoric and Writing Studies Department. He graduated from San Diego State in 2017 with a degree in political science. He hopes to work in public media after graduation.
Alexa Oslowski
Alexa Oslowski, Photo Editor
Alexandra Oslowski (she/her) is a 5th-year student studying journalism with a minor in art from Cameron Park, California. She is a transfer student from UC Santa Cruz and in her third year at San Diego State. She has a passion for photography, music, and writing. Alexa hopes to pursue a career in digital journalism or photojournalism. You can follow her on Twitter @AlexaROslowski.